Saturday, December 17, 2022

Saturday December 17, 2022 Lizzie

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday December 17, 2022

We had a slightly delayed walk this morning with the same sky and results.  Avoiding the first dog was a bonus.  We didn't get barked at until well into our walk by new house dogs...

I napped for another hour then did chores and showered to be out the door by 8:30am.  Lizzie's appointment at KIA for the warranty check was at 8:50.  I noted a right rear low tire and pointed that out to the techie.  He said they don't fix tires (which I knew) but I said you must at least have air to add until the check is done...  And I handed him both remotes that were obviously almost dead to get new batteries too.

So I had 2.5 hours to kill so first I went to see my friend vet John but he was not in.  I delivered the balance of the diapers that we had had for Killer for his compatriot Alexandra who has a dog shelter.

Then, across the street, I had a delicious breakfast of eggs "ranchero", fantastic bread, coffee, and a pastry filled with melted cheese for 10,000 pesos, or just over $2 USD..  The conversion $1 USD = 4,786 pesos is dropping away from the expected ceiling of 5,000.

I walked all the way downtown and researched the place that can inspect, and maybe repair, the 2 busted cel phones for Cristina.  One is my old Motorola G4 Plus and the screen is all pixels, while the other was her new one that got mistakenly washed....

I did some window shopping, (almost bought 3 windows, lol), and was about to head into the ARA grocery to pick up a loaf of that amazing bread I had eaten at breakfast, but I got stopped by a policeman in a golf shirt that said he knew me and mentioned a name that sounded faintly familiar as the policeman we met that used to hang around David's place.  He had me follow him to a shady spot, stopped another man too, and started asking a bunch of personal financial questions, like amount in bank account, amount in wallet, wanting to view the debit card, and even asked for the PIN number!!!  The other guy unbelievably gave him everything (maybe a shill..??) and I lied and walked away, telling him that his questions were highly inappropriate.  I posted a warning to the Expats in Colombia Facebook group. 

I got back to KIA and they had a World Cup match between Croatia and Morocco on the tube.  I had no idea there was a game today.  It was 2-1 Croatia at the half and it ended that way.  So Croatia are 3rd place (Bronze medal??) winners at the World Cup.

KIA had an identical 2023 model of Lizzie in the showroom and the price is 74,000,000 pesos which sounds like a lot more than the 44,800,000 I paid in 2018 for my 2019 Lizzie, BUT... with the current exchange, it is only about $500 USD more!  I was a little shocked when I did the math...

True to their word, Lizzie was ready, and freshly washed (we need some rain...), new oil + filter, air-conditioning filter, fluids and checks, and the bill was $88.57 USD!!  He pointed out a nail head in the right rear tire just off the tread at the top of the side wall.  Strange place to catch a nail!

I went to the place next door where I bought the right rear tire and they don't do repairs.... odd, I thought.  He pointed at a place further up on the opposite side, so I went there.  They only worked on truck tires, so they pointed to another place further up yet, back on the opposite side...  These guys were pretty fast with a hydraulic jack and repaired it quickly and re-installed it.  He gave me the 2" nail that had been completely embedded.  The bill was 8,000 pesos for the repair, I was flabbergasted again, $1.67 USD!!!!  Of course, I paid a little extra....

Right now we have 2 extra dogs in the house for Claudia.

Nap time.....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


Park across from a Tulua church

Lizzie washed, waiting for rain

Nail head in a strange place

Lizzie waiting for tire guy

They were pretty fast indeed

The offending 2" nail.....