Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sunday September 27, 2020 Racing/Roldanillo

SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  is schizophrenic again… ??   >>>>>>>>>>

To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Sunday September 27, 2020

Gosh, I was up at 4:30 this morning and still had to rush through chores to be able to make it to David's by 7am to watch Formula 1 from Sochi in Russia.  David got the time wrong and the race was already half over by then so it was a tad anticlimactic.  I could go into a big song and dance about yesterday's qualifying, where Ferrari's Vettel crashed in the 3rd Qualifier causing many drivers to scramble to get in their best time with little time to spare.  Championship leader Hamilton was on soft tires to be able to salvage the pole position so that is how he had to start the race.  They are fast, but deteriorate quickly so his team pitted him early much to his ire, and it cost him a possible win, still placing a very respectable third.  His partner Valterri Bottas grabbed the lead and never relinquished it.  Red Bull's Verstappen came in second.  My guy, LeClerc floundered and was sixth.

 So we switched to catch the start of the MotoGP race from Spain.  That was very exciting again with crashes costing the exit of favourites Rossi again, and Dovioso, and Espargaro.  The pole sitter Morbidelli had a podium position up until 2 laps to go but could not hold it.  My #1 guy Marc Marquez is still out with a broken arm.  My #2 guy Dovioso crashed early.  My #3 guy, Fabio Quartararo, snaked through the pack to win today and increase his Championship lead.  Congrats.

A quick nap was in order when I got back home and then Cristina wanted to go out for a drive, so I suggested Roldanillo because it is only one toll booth away.  I also wanted another look at the town where she has lived for 40 years.  Frankly, I like the town but hate all the "sleeping cops" we have to drive over.  They are everywhere, and not signed, or painted, often.

I brought the Nikon and put on the polarizing filter to help eliminate a lot of haze and to give definition to the clouds.  Honestly, I remembered where I set it last time and never changed it all afternoon.   Most of the early shots of the trip are through Lizzie's tinted windows so some are extra colourful.

Cristina wanted to go to the top of a mountain behind Roldanillo to a town called La Tulia at the peak on a very narrow road with many potholes.  She had not been there since childhood.  I did not mind the drive but seriously the views could have been a lot better.  At the peak there are banana plantations and loads of greenhouses, ... not very picturesque.  My altimeter app says it was 1,863 meters (6,112 feet).  It is neat though to look across part of the Valle de Cauca from the coastal cordillera to the central cordillera on the other side.  

For me the most interesting thing was a brass statue of a naked man with 6 digits advertising some art school on the mountainside....

Because I have 49 photos today I am accustomed to uploading in batches, backwards, to get the results I need.  However this new Blogger seems to want to reverse my order of each batch.  Grrr.   So I take the chance and upload all 49 and it does it easy peasy.  I hope it continues that!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


 

Cristina feeding the kitten

Chiquitito is a lucky little guy

F1 - Lap 24 already.  Hamilton is worried.

Bottas sets the pace, Hamilton creeps up.

Near the end and Verstappen can't catch Bottas.

Last lap.

Bottas has the win.

I am happy for Bottas.  He is a good driver.

A good start for MotoGP

Dovizioso and Zarco feel the gravel

It is Morbidelli, Miller and Rossi in the lead

Quartararo sneaks up to 3rd

Prior crash info

Crash replay

Quartararo passes Rossi for 2nd

Quartararo hunts down Morbidelli

Quartararo grabs the lead for good

Pol Espargaro crashes

Not his day

Grass is better than asphalt

They don't drive very fast, only 339 kph...

Rossi loses grip on his front wheel

He is done for the day

Mir passes Miller

Quartararo keeps a relentless pace

Mir passes Morbidelli for 2nd

Morbidelli can't keep 3rd

Rins passes Morbidelli

Quartarao wins

The team is ecstatic

Picturesque drive to Roldanillo

This must be the Rio Cauca

The valley is named after it

It is sunny here

Luckily the road is pretty good, hard to see potholes.

I liked the bells here

Narrow road up the mountain to La Tulia

Looking back to the central cordillera across the valley

At the peak

Starting back down
I thought this was pretty scenic

Horses and homes, very pastoral

My shot of the day. Note 5 fingers plus thumbs

A common sight in the country

Lots of old Jeeps here

At park in Roldanillo

Roast chicken anyone?

The fountain was working

The oversight committee