Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wednesday October 19, 2022 Repairs

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Wednesday October 19, 2022

The sky was obscure and spitting brief rain mist as we walked at 4am and encountered the chestnut horse family of 3.  Then I napped until 6:30am and hurriedly did poop and garbage patrol because I had forgotten to do it last night.

Then Cristina hit me with the surprise news that we had to leave at 7:40am to take the puppy to the vet again because it was again refusing food.  I just love those surprises when we have to leave the key in the door for Carlos who was still in bed when I called.

We came across a homeless young lady eating from someone's garbage 2 blocks away and I drove by a homeless man shitting above a street grate in Tulua.  Seeing such sad sights is heartrending.

I came home and trimmed back a lot of the flowers, especially the hibiscus where the bloom areas get closed off by insects.  Gotta get all this greenery blooming again....

Carlos installed flashing at the top of the awning, an area which he thought was the cause of the dripping to the overhang below.  I had told him yesterday that I thought the problem was above, on the roof....  When he finished the flashing, he went on the roof and this is the video he took of the damage up there, which was certainly the main cause of the soggy overhang ceiling :

So we had to scrounge for sand, strain out the rocks, and really put some fresh mortar to the real problem that would only have gotten much worse if left unchecked....  I was amazed at the superlative job that he did up there as you can see by the photo below.  

Then, as he was back adding parging to the ceiling above the sidewalk, the heavens opened and we got a deluge of water.  I have another video which I am not sharing, but it shows that the work up on the roof survived the onslaught and did the job amazingly well of clearing water away.

But, .....yes, there is a but,... the flashing we just added only seemed to make the dripping down the face, behind the awning, even worse??!!!!!!  Now he is talking about adding mortar above the flashing in the morning.....  The heavy dripping seems to have damaged all the parging work underneath.

I then had to pick up Cristina at her other hairdresser's place all the way across Tulua before going to pick up the puppy who seems again to be doing better and who we will medicate ourselves at home tomorrow.   I am thankful for that, because I am so sick of driving into Tulua already....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


Still dirty!  Rio sees to that!

Putting up the flashing at the top of the awning


GSS is slowly getting bigger



 


Most of the patio, as it looks today

Fixing the damaged roof above

He did a ton of repair work in a short time

Underside to be re-parged

Partly done

 

Huge rain hits, lake again out back

Roof across the street

Trying to finish, but dripping

Lizzie needed the wash job

A lot of water again

Serious drips softening the new parging.. Boo hoo...