Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Tuesday October 11, 2022 Shoveling

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Tuesday October 11, 2022

The dogs, particularly our nature-lover Rio, had to be kept off the patio overnight and I didn't want to cause problems so we forewent the walk and Rio slept in the bedroom to keep her calm.

Cristina left mid-morning to go take Nino from his adoptive home to the Vet John Faber Rojas for further treatment of his pimple-like growths near his face and mouth.

Latin Americans are ALWAYS late, so when Carlos said 7:30am and 1pm, he really meant 8am and 1:30pm...  We had 2 more sand and cement deliveries and I only helped with some sweeping and I was exhausted...  There is a picture of a sand pile delivered at lunchtime below.  The delivery guy shovels this from a riverbed somewhere onto his motorized, or horse-drawn cart.  Then he shovels it off on my front driveway for under $8, usually with the help of Carlos and Bolivar.  Then Bolivar shovels the pile into about 10 wheelbarrow loads that Carlos runs the length of the house to dump off our back step.

So far we have used 4 loads of delivered sand...

Hold it, ....they are not done...  Then they shovel that pile back into the wheelbarrow to deposit the sand in different piles down the patio.  Then eventually each pile is mixed, by hand and shovel, with water and cement to make the mortar.  This is shoveled into a bucket in increments to be dumped wherever Carlos is screeding the mortar.  Gosh, I get so tired watching these guys shovel and bend....  I wouldn't last an hour!

I think that I will continue to add a cement coat to the rest of the patio.  I may not get a second chance......

After 10am, I managed to watch most of the China vs Italy women's volleyball 1/4 finals.  Italy romped away to a 2 game lead, China bombed them in the 3rd game, but Italy prevailed easily to win the 4th game and the match.  Great volleyball!  There should be another game at 7pm...

Nostalgia and fond memories surfaced when I got an email from former co-worker Peter.  When I moved to Calgary in 2000, I worked with Peter in insurance where my friend Keith was manager.  For 2 years I roomed in the basement suite of Peter's sweet mother Jean, before I moved to Okotoks to work at McFarlane Agencies for 9 years.  Peter just informed me that he starts with McFarlane Agencies October 31!!  I am so happy for everyone involved...

I then got on the phone and talked with family for a bit as it is always so good to actually speak to our wonderful siblings.  I am truly blessed with a great family.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


Starting the day with the guides

Filling in the north end

Filling another section leaving middle open

A good try by China against tough Italy

Last point by Italy.  Game over.

One of the sand deliveries

Shoveling off the pile at the back step

The section to be tiled is almost done.