Monday, January 3, 2022

Monday January 3, 2022 Sadness

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

The Email Subscription service was terminated but is working for some???

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Monday January 3, 2022

The walk was real early this morning because I couldn't sleep in and only Turi and Princesa came along.  Buddy, for some reason, wasn't interested this morning.  And it didn't take long for a light sprinkle to begin which became heavier as we veered back home.  Then it was back to bed for a few hours.

I was awakened by a teary message from Cristina's ex, Carlos, that his father (also Carlos) had passed away at 1:15am.  Of late, Papa had been suffering from Alzheimer's and had violent episodes.  He had been in a coma for a couple of days with Carlos at his bedside.

Later Cristina got word that the wake would be at Carlos' Mom's (Gilma's) all day and the funeral at 4pm.  I honestly have no idea how, or why, they could get everything all ready that quickly..??!!   I offered to do anything they needed, drive, etc...  Later they were lamenting that they had failed to inform relatives in distant cities who would literally have to drop everything and rush on a moment's notice to make it to the funeral... 

RedBubble dropped my second upload of the year this morning, so the writing is definitely on the wall for those turkeys.

We rushed into Tulua to pay my health insurance before noon and then dropped in at Gilma's briefly for the wake.  It was then agreed that we would drive Gilma to the funeral, etc.

We came home for lunch, had a quick nap, and then we went out at 2:30 to find a live plant.  There were no bouquets brought to the wake which I thought was unusual.  I have long given live plants as mementos of the day as opposed to bouquets which are dead in 3 days....  We asked around and finally found a place on the north end of town.  The nicest plants were all for planting in the sun so we got a nice shade plant, a nice pot, and paid for more dirt and white rocks for trim.  Normally I would stick in a few live flowers, like white lillies, but they were nowhere to be found.  We went to the big flower shop in town but they only had cut flowers, (no nice white lillies) but we managed to get the sympathy card there.

So we were back at Gilma's at 3:30 as requested and our plant was still the only floral offering other than that by the funeral home.  Then the little Chevy hearse came, with room for one coffin and only one family member...  I just shake my head at such ridiculousness.

Gilma got in with us for the short ride to our cemetery chapel where the service was held.  I still get a kick out of the old priest in running shoes below his vestments, and I unconsciously check that he is not also in shorts.. (He's not.)  And very few in the crowd were in black clothes like me and Gilma.  Most, including Cristina, were in jeans.  I was uncharacteristically wearing black pants with my light black golf shirt for the occasion.  Otherwise I am always in shorts.  They just don't stand on much ceremony here.

At the end of the service it was decided that there would be a procession to the crematorium in Tulua and Gilma decided that she wanted to go.  It was said that it might encompass 4 hours....  So we made a quick call to Claudia to cover for us with Ana Julia and the dogs, etc. and away we went, following the hearse on the highway at 50 kph.  We drove to the south end of Tulua on the highway and made a u-turn to find the crematorium off the highway to the east.  The smell hit me as soon as I opened my door.

There also was another casket already waiting in line at the sliding door, and another soon followed ours in the parking lot.  Then the family decided they didn't really want to wait for this, they would pick up the ashes in the morning.  So we drove Gilma back home.

It was late and I didn't feel like chopping cabbage so I went and got a bunch of fried chicken for supper, with leftovers for tomorrow.  Now, I am ready for bed again, but have to wait until 10pm to help Ana Julia take her pill then.  I am such a slave here.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


 

RIP Carlos Pena Sr.

Wake at his wife Gilma's

Glorious new hibiscus

The rosebud is gorgeous

The bougainvilleas are in constant bloom

Beware the guy on the roof

The toy hearse

Gilma, ??, Cristina waiting

The hearse leads the family procession

The cortege to the crematorium

Lots of families.  Big smokestack.

One other casket waiting to enter the flame room.

Now, we are in line too.