Saturday, June 12, 2021

Saturday June 12, 2021 Barrel

SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  stops in July ??   >>>>>>>>>>

To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday June 12, 2021

We woke up to no water again this morning for a bit and later this afternoon a guy from the water company came to the door saying they are replacing all the outside water shut-offs because they are all bad (every homeowner was on his list - quite the scam as usual).  I walked away rather than tell him what I really thought.

I decided to prepare the metal barrel I had bought from Javier yesterday for use as a burning barrel.  I dug out my cheap angle grinder that didn't want to hold any of the disks until I added a rubber washer...  Maybe that is why it was such a good price...  I found a metal-cutting disk and put it in as tightly as I could.  Aram was telling me how he sliced his hand when a disk shattered on him so I was doing this with a lot of trepidation.

It actually surprised me that everything was going so well, and I was aiming everything away from me as best I could, and was wearing full clothing, protective glasses and gloves.  The cutting was smooth as I started making about 7 slashes in the bottom of the barrel to allow for any moisture or rain to escape.  The ease of this surprised me.

Then I started to cut two holes, low on the sides, large enough to put a hand inside for starting the fires, and to provide air entry for better burning.  The first hole was easy again.  I had 3 sides cut for the second hole when the disc was coming loose because the rubber washer was shredded.  Luckily it was easy to bend in the metal to form the hole and not fight with the grinder anymore.  It did its duty much better than I expected.  I could not locate another similar rubber washer so I made one out of a discarded handlebar grip.... the way Dad would have improvised in the old days...  I smile broadly when I think of the ingenious ways Dad could repair things, and cogitate on a problem to come up with a workable solution.  I like to thing that some of that has rubbed off on me ever since he fixed a camera bag for me back in the 70's.  I miss my Dad.  He was such a kind, quiet and gentle man.

I then spread out more of the cut mango branches so they will dry enough in the hot sun to burn easy later.

We picked up Lorena's daughter, Sofia, again today to spend the day being spoiled by Cristina.  Cristina misses her son so very much that having a child to spoil is good therapy.

The Golden Silk Spider in the house is obviously dead for some reason...  We will have to remove it.  Another huge one is setting up shop just to the left outside the back door.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

The barrel is ready to fire up

Our nice big yard

White rose is still in bloom

A visitor when we picked up Sofia

Sofia

Golden Silk Spider

Princesa needs a clipping

Nene too

Then Buddy

Nina2 is a bit of a devil

Dead GSS

A big GSS outside