Friday, June 11, 2021

Friday June 11, 2021 Repairs

SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  stops in July ??   >>>>>>>>>>

To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Friday June 11, 2021

Our contractor Javier was here at 7:45 to begin work on cutting down more of the mango tree, file the roof tiles again, and help me strengthen the posts holding up the massive patio roof.  Then I had Aram come and help with the cutting of wood pieces and then to decimate the cuttings of the mango tree.  Cristina relocated some spiders.

Some of the support posts are rotted at the bottom with constant moisture and termites.  The furthest north post was actually giving zero support (good thing that the roof beam is embedded into our side wall) and was literally ready to fall over on its own.  We cut off the worst part, flipped it over, and notched it to fit under the sagging beam a little further in, sitting on a wooden base to spread the load.  The concrete is only about 2" thick so I don't want to begin causing cracks everywhere.  2 of the 6 posts appear solid so we concentrated on the 4 poorer ones.

Once we did all this, I ran in Lizzie with Javier to his home under construction on the outskirts of BugaLaGrande.  That house will be very nice when it is finished, but 3 stories and lousy road access.  We were there to pick up a metal barrel that he had been using for garbage.   We desperately need a burning barrel for the center of the yard so we don't burn out the neighbours.  We have so many decaying branches and leaves from plantains, mangoes, oranges and flowers that they must be disposed of.   The barrel size is just adequate and I need to figure out the best way to cut holes to allow air in from the bottom for more efficient burning.

Aram was gone when we came back but willing to return anytime we need him.  They leave in 9 days.   Javier was quite happy with 150,000 pesos (all I had = $41.11 USD) for the morning's work, and the barrel.

I cooked up the last of my smokies with fresh buns as a treat for Javier.  I like this guy.  We are always on the same wave-length and he actually listens to my suggestions.  If I was younger I sure would be happy to work alongside such a man.  He is really impressed with the tools I have, especially the cordless drill...  It boggles my mind that contractors here have so few useful tools.  Sometimes it is like watching Fred Flintstone in action.

Later I had a nice well-deserved nap before I did the cleanup and put away all the tools properly.  I finally showered, etc then decided to varnish the new support pieces before dark so they can dry nicely overnight.  I also put another coat on the roof of the bird feeder and admonished Cristina to quit putting birdseed up there.  The birds peck and flick the birdseed, damaging the varnish which already has to deal with the harsh sun, exposing it quicker to moisture and rot.  Like most of our things, I want them to survive a long time.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


 

Base needed to be changed
Mango tree clear of roof
Repositioned pole


Post 3

Post 4

Golden Silk Spider

GSS

GSS

GSS

Burning barrel

White rose is hanging in there

North Pole varnished

The other poles too

Protecting the newly varnished roof for the night