Monday, December 7, 2020

Monday December 7, 2020 Candles

SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  is schizophrenic again… ??   >>>>>>>>>>

To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Monday December 7, 2020

Cristina came to bed after watching a late movie, woke me up and I could not get back to sleep.  Grrrrr.  This old man needs his rest....

We were out the door at 8:10 to go buy lighted balloons for tonight.  Today is a well celebrated holiday here, as well as tomorrow, according to Wikipedia: 

Little Candles Day (Spanish: Día de las velitas) is one of the most observed traditional holiday in Colombia. It is celebrated on December 7 on the eve of the Immaculate Conception, which is a public holiday in Colombia. This day is the unofficial start of the Christmas season in the country.

On this night, people place candles and paper lanterns on windowsills, balconies, porches, sidewalks, streets, parks and squares; in short, everywhere they can be seen, in honor of the Virgin Mary and her Immaculate Conception. On December 8 it is customary for houses to hoist a white flag with the image of the Virgin Mary all day. They also hold numerous events, from firework shows to competitions.

 We then went to the cemetery, confirmed hours for the evening with the caretaker Alberto, and installed the balloons.  Alberto is the gravedigger and grave-filler, and jack-of-all-trades in the place.  He rules!

Then I drove Cristina to LA14 to meet up with Ana as they had a lot of shopping to do.  Rather than go home right away I called David and popped in for coffee to keep him company.

I came home and had a quick nap, deciding against having lunch, with a nefarious plan in mind....  I left the house and dogs with supper and lighting and I headed out around 3:30 for Power Pizza, my comfort food here.  I could not reach Cristina all day so I had no idea when I needed to pick her up, but I figured it would be around 5pm, and I was right.

The traffic was bonkers downtown where I had to retrieve her so I was glad when we were finally on the highway home again.

We went straight to the cemetery where we installed the 18 phony candles to light up the gravesite.  I must say that we easily had the nicest in the place and many people stopped to find out about the lighted balloons especially.  This 9-year-old girl named Sofia decided that we were more interesting than her family so she hung around with us for about an hour.  She was fascinated with my camera and was thrilled to take some photos on her own.  She did a pretty good job and many of the ones below are her shots.

I spotted the distinct outline of a parrot on a distant treetop and managed to get a couple of silhouette-type shots against the evening sky.  Usually they come in noisy bunches but this guy seemed to be flying solo tonight.

I am glad that we actually came home early after 7pm because the bugs were really becoming a nuisance in spite of my foresight to wear long pants.  They were merciless to all of us.  The last thing I want is to catch Dengue Fever again.  It sprinkled a bit but we avoided major rain.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


 

Installed balloons in the morning

A Paso Fino rider

My favourite Pizza place

A party bus??

My favourite meaty pizza

Mmmmm, dressed up my way...

This leaf bug liked my table and my camera

Alberto is tireless

Parrot high up

Parrot all alone

What a view from here

Sofia catches Cristina.  I like it!

Cristina likes this posed shot instead.

The two popular balloons

The grave is alight

Sofia was a little sweetie

9-years old.

It gets darker

and darker

and darker yet..

Very dark

The upper 1/2 of the cemetery is getting lit up.