Friday, December 11, 2020

Thursday December 10, 2020 Ukumari Zoo

SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  is schizophrenic again… ??   >>>>>>>>>>

To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Thursday December 10, 2020

Yes, little Sofia did visit us to get her First Communion and Birthday gifts.  She was here for several hours with Cristina watching movies and having fun.

I am really losing track of the days...  On our morning walk today, as we reached the south edge of our area, I saw this huge white shape glide through the sky just above the trees and disappear.  It obviously had to be a huge bird, the size of a Pterodactyl!!  Gosh I would love to see that sight again and identify it.

Cristina mentioned that we should get out to see the new zoo in Pereira called Bioparque Ukumari so we left about 10:45am.  My first check on Google Maps appeared to show the location on the approach to Pereira, without entering the city.  Subsequent checks showed something different and Google Maps was terrible in getting us there, getting us lost 3 times, then taking us down a very narrow, long street where 2 cars cannot meet to finally arrive.  It cost us each under $10 USD and $2.50 USD for parking.

At first we thought that the place was a rip-off and not showing us what was promised, but finally following the long paths we eventually saw just about everything.

I do not recall who was asking me if I had seen the animals taken from Pablo Escobar's exotic zoo at his country ranch, but I am quite sure that we did today, especially when we encountered the almost extinct white rhino.  We did not see the leopards and there were disappointingly few birds.

The exciting viewing was firstly the two big male lions roaring, as though calling for unseen females.  I took a video for you:

Lions  https://youtu.be/nsaEkyASQ1U

The other was a huge cage of monkeys, mostly male, who were chasing and taunting each other.  Again, I took a video for you:

Monkeys  https://youtu.be/322vyrlH5uo

It was really simple sneaking out via a road that we had passed at least 3 times, but not where Google Maps directed us.  I was thinking of maybe hitting PriceSmart on the way out but david didn't need anything and, after walking for miles, I was in no mood to wander their store.

On the way back, we were stopped at a Police checkpoint where they did a document check and looked in the trunk.

A mile further down the road, the Transito police and a buch of people in blue jumpsuits stopped us again.  I thought that they were after money, but they were checking and reminding motorists of the need for the emergency kit with fire extinguisher, etc.  I am afraid that I was not too courteous about being stopped twice within a mile and subjected to this nonsense.

We arrived home and it was obvious that our town had suffered a good rain and yes, poor Killer got an unintended bath.

I had 88 photos to work on and it took me almost 5 hours to prepare these for you.  It should be fun uploading the 62 photos I kept.  Now I am uploading in batches and it is uploading them backwards...  or wherever it wants.. Grrrr.  I won't bother with captions.  The animals are pretty self-explanatory.  I am really happy with my lion shots.  A few photos taken through scratched glass are pretty iffy, sorry.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Start