Friday, September 20, 2019

Friday September 20, 2019 Wasps


SUBSCRIBE ON THE RIGHT to get this Blog sent direct to your email>>
This is NOT working again… ??  PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.
Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
******
Friday September 20, 2019
We had some nice rain overnight, enough to leave puddles on the road.  The day remained cool too, for which we are all thankful.
I did some running around early for supplies (beer) for my expected company.
Cristina had mentioned that the group at the AnimalPark wanted to smoke out some wasps who had many nests in a building that houses some of their   animals.  This crusade was hastened when two of them were bit last night by the usually calm wasps.  I suggested that she ask the opinion of the fire department before they decide to play with fire in a building.  She agreed and we drove over to the Firehall and actually spoke to Luis, the Captain.  He offered to send someone over at the suggested time of 4pm.  So we went and bought about 5 litres of gasoline...
I came home and was making a huge bowl of popcorn when Aram arrived early.  He had never seen a hot air popper before...  They are certainly not common outside of Canada or the USA.
David and Irma arrived right at 1pm.  I had left the car outside to give us more room, re-arranged some furniture, and had the movie sound playing through the stereo.  That worked really well as we watched Hidalgo, which everyone really enjoyed.
Then Aram joined us as we went to the Animal Park and, at Cristina's direction, he taped plastic over open upper windows to keep the wasps inside.  True to his word, Fire Captain Luis sent someone.. himself...  He really didn't bring any supplies and used a spray bottle supplied by Marino, filled with gasoline to spray directly on the wasps.  This takes care of wasps quite well, but it also contaminates everything around, and you don't dare smoke or cause a spark.  Before long Luis had been bit at least once so he left and came back with a proper bee/wasp suit, but I had to run home for a better spray bottle and some gloves for him.  The type of wasps we are dealing with are large, skinny, and usually are not bothersome.  We have some by our hummingbird feeders and they generally avoid me.  At the Animal Park they build a bunch of tiny honeycomb nests, not huge paper globes like the wasps we know.  So the group basically emptied the building while Luis was busy spraying.  They were still knocking down nests at dark.
While this was going on I got to play a little basketball with a local kid and Aram.  Boy, I need a lot of practice to get back onto a basketball court.  While shooting was never my strong suit, (passing was), I thoroughly embarrassed myself today.  I could hardly hit the basket from any further than 6 feet, ...just horrible...  But it was fun to handle a ball and try to get my muscles and hands to work together.  Since my bike accident (almost 3 years ago), it is still a work in progress.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.
Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 
If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Start
 
Aram, after putting plastic on 2 outside windows

Marino and one of the resident kittens

Aram closing in the inner room

Some young future soccer stars in the park adjacent

Aram like his photo taken

These are the critters trying to escape

Budding sunset