Saturday, September 3, 2022

Saturday September 3, 2022 Unfinished

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday September 3, 2022

The last couple of days have been very hard on this old man, mentally and physically...

7am Friday, Cristina's ex Carlos, and nephew-in-law Chucho, and hired man Bolivar, came to help me repair the collapsing patio roof.  I had been planning the changes required for a long time and had all my thoughts, plans, dimensions, etc on paper for viewing and discussion.

Basically the tile patio roof rests of rafters with cross-members that rest on a long cross-beam supported by wooden posts embedded in the concrete patio floor.  The problem is that these posts have either rotted or just plain sank into the dirt below and the cross-beam was severely bowed in 2 locations.  This could not wait to be repaired much longer as my temporary repairs were visibly giving way to gravity and Mother Nature.

The first order of business was to remove the first few layers of roof tile to reduce the weight.  Carlos and I went to get bricks and metal to fashion the U- Clamps (see below) required, plus we had 8 teleposts and large heavy boards delivered to lift several rafters at once.

I knew the original height of the cross-beam and the original plan was to just replace the rotted posts with new posts above the concrete but the Cross-beam was too bowed and broken to make this a viable option.  I then decided to rest the rafters on individual posts with larger concrete bases to spread the weight (I don't trst the concrete pad of the patio) and originally had planned to angle and notch the tops to fit the 2x6 rafters, but nobody had proper equipment to do the work, so we decided to simply angle the tops and get a metal U-clamp made to hold the post to the rafter.

Carlos went to a metal worker to fashion the U-Clamps and returned in late afternoon.  Dealing with Chucho and Bolivar was great, as they are good workers and listen to ideas.  I also learned to listen to their wise counsel.  Carlos is a different duck altogether, who often has the strangest ways of measuring and doing things, which rarely line up properly....  A case in point are the infamous U-Clamps which I tried to make work but we just don't have the vises and drill stands to do things right...  I assumed this metal worker of his would,... but obviously not...  

I sent Carlos back this morning with photos, diagrams, a piece of 4x4 post to bend the U-Clamps into the proper configuration and have the screw holes in the proper places.....  I still shook my head when he came back 2.5 hours later with these blasted U-Clamps still in unusable condition....  I got a 4x4 block and pounded the damn things into a semblance of usable hardware....   Ugh.............  Growl.........

While he was gone, Chucho, Bolivar and I had started work on the policarbonate roof extension supports to attach the the rafters.  This is to extend the roof further so the rains do not pool on the patio.  

Next we had to line up straight every post and install the U-Clamps and replace the many broken support bricks.  Then we could remove the old posts and the old support beam.  Finally, around lunchtime, we had a the new posts successfully holding the rafters and the roof weight.  Everyone broke for lunch and I was shocked that only Carlos came back for the afternoon.  He and I finished the support brackets for the policarbonate roof which a purist would never allow in the fashion that Carlos installs things facing every which way.  By the time I spotted the problem, it was too late.  I just have to close my eyes to the little things and be pleased with the total result.  We placed 3 panels of policarbonate and they are already lining up crooked....  I was actually happy when Carlos had to leave around 4pm.  I love Carlos as a person, but mostly, as a contractor, I shudder at what passes for acceptable workmanship.  He is a hard worker, for sure, and could do ceramic tiles for me any day, but......  The nicest thing I can say is the price is right......

So we have an unfinished roof, and nobody but Carlos will come back until Monday afternoon, so I have no idea when the job will be completed.  There is no way I am pitching up roof tiles for re-installation.  And we will have to buy a bunch more replacement tiles....  It will end some day and I will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Cristina has Sofia to spend the day here watching movies again.

I took a video yesterday of the feeding frenzy near our bird feeder (sorry it is sideways, I used to be able to fix that on YouTube, but not any more...).

https://youtu.be/FsHnhz5IdFQ

There are 3 different places that say how many people are looking at my Blogs, and they are wildly different and totally ridiculous.  I am not vain enough to think that suddenly ten times more people are digging my missives.....  Get a grip Google....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


 

Chucho+Bolivar removing tiles

Installing teleposts below large board

Chucho angle-cutting the posts to fit

Getting posts more-or-less into place

Teleposts were a must to lift the rafters

Leveling the posts in a straight line was a chore.

12 posts for 12 rafters

 

U-Clamps in place, old supports gone

Started the policarbonate supports

Only one support left, all lined up....

Carlos working on supports

Supports are done

Started the policarbonate...