Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Wednesday February 23, 2022 More sadness

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Wednesday February 23, 2022

Late Monday afternoon, Feb 21st, we got word that my Auntie Adrienne had passed away 3.5 months short of her 99th Birthday.  She was the wife of Uncle Henry the Black on Mom's side (because we also had Uncle Henry the Red on Dad's side) who had passed away a few years back, 4 hours short of his 99th.  I have many fond memories of my time on their farm with their children Emile, Rita and Jeanne who were all older than me.  Auntie and Uncle were always so sweet to me.  The word came from a daughter-in-law of Emile's who lives in Radville and keeps in touch with me on Facebook.  Emile passed away in a 1968 accident.  I managed to contact Rita who now lives in Medicine Hat but had no early luck reaching Jeanne who was on the scene in Radville.  I contacted all my family members, including Normand in Radville who chuckled that I heard about it before him, and he lives there...  RIP Adrienne....

Dad, Mom, Henry, Adrienne, and the Thurmeiers.

Wedding photo, 1940

So you can probably expect less Blogs and photos from me this week as I concentrate on details for the trip.  Soon, I will also prepare the Nikon and the batteries, etc to go.  If I need photos I still have the Lumix available even though it has no zoom.

On our walks, yesterday and today, the sky was overcast except for a very bright star or satellite low in the eastern sky along with the waning 1/2 moon trying to peek through.

I have another comparison between countries regarding veterinary bills...  To sterilize Negro, an 18kg dog, cost $20 USD here.  In 2016, sterilizing a dog cost $75 US in Cuenca, Ecuador.  I can't imagine what it costs in the USA or Canada now...

RedBubble is being its usual cantankerous self every day, but mostly dropping after I have managed to secure both uploads but drops many times when I try to check comments on my work, or to comment on others.  Frustrating....

Yesterday, I wanted to get the lawn cut but Cristina insisted that we use Daniel from the Animal Park because he works hard there, has a donated whipper-snipper, and is almost destitute.  I always want the lawn cut Tuesdays or Fridays so we can get the clippings to the curb before garbage pickup which has been coming at 8am Wednesdays and Saturdays.  Daniel was to come but had a sick dog at the Animal Park so could not make it.  Friday now?

Miguel offered to take me to the airport and back and I accepted his offer after deciding that taking a risky taxi ride was not in my best interest.  I offered to pay well under the circumstances.

Today we got word that the ELN rebels were indeed going to cause trouble for the Government for 3 consecutive days, and they were true to their word with bombings, wrecking a bridge, and more, south of Cali.  A police bomb squad sniffer dog was killed in the process so far.  We don't expect disruptions here and this is all supposed to be over by the morning of the 26th.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/crime-pmn/eln-rebels-blow-up-bridge-injure-eight-in-attacks-across-colombia-government

Then I got word from Cristina that Miguel wanted to use my car for the airport trips, which changed all the dynamics again,... but that vet friend John Faber Rojas had offered to drive me.  So, after some consultation with John I made the switch, mainly because I want to safely park my car here with the battery safely disconnected so I don't have a dead battery because of the alarm when I return.  I tried to check on that, but the bolts are super tight so I may have KIA loosen them for me....

Then I decided to fix the underside of my office chair that Carlos' new dog, Violeta, had damaged in her efforts to be constantly petted.  That went well with the stapler, but then I noticed all 5 sets of wheels were encumbered with threads and dog hair so it took a decided effort to clean those up enough to roll decently again with oil.  I had asked Critina for help but she didn't last one set of wheels and I ended up making my arms really ache finishing all 5.  The poor vacuum which was already so clogged with dog hair (Cristina never cleans it) was my next chore then.  What a mess!  But now it is again like new.  The TENS machine is really working on my arms now....  I certainly will need to find room for it in my backpack too.  It is a Godsend for my arm pain above the magnetic bracelets.

I got word from Igor that he was at the airport, on his way to the USA for his cousin's funeral.  His antigen was OK yesterday, negative.

I also got word from a photographer friend in Cuenca that he just lost his Father as well.  We are at the age that parents, siblings and peers of our own age are falling by the wayside.  I really notice that when I go to update my address and phone list.   

Slowly but surely, we will make it to Canada this time and see our family.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.