Saturday, July 9, 2022

Saturday July 9, 2022 Exchange

 

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday July 9, 2022

The Walk this morning had an interesting twist to it.  A block from home 3 horses were coming up the side street and we avoided the first easily.  We stopped as usual at the corner house which has a patch of grass and some bushes.  I heard a noise and turned to find a mare nuzzled up to me and I gave her face a gentle rub until she wandered back to her filly.  The dogs are always warned not to mess with any animals on the street and they are generally pretty good at listening.

I did not sleep well again, too many thoughts roaring in my head about this possible sale.  I stayed up and did my chores then went back to bed for a couple of hours.

Then I decided to check online for available houses for sale, hoping to find something that we already have....  It really is silly to sell this place but, if the price is right AND we can find something similar, cheaper...  

There was barely only tiny houses and apartments in the similar price range, THEN....  Something struck me almost immediately about the house prices and the conversion to US Dollars...  Something was completely out of whack from just a week ago!  Good Grief!  The drop in the Colombian Peso was almost 10%, just in the last week!  Today, one American dollar will buy a record 4420 pesos when it was around 4,000 just a week ago (I usually check every Friday).  And it was only 3065 pesos to the dollar when we bought the house.....  Ouch!!!!  A 50% Drop!! And there are almost no blips upwards, so we have no idea when this freefall will end... do you?

The following graphs I took from the internet, comparing the exchange rate both ways..




And the main reason for the big recent change is the election of the leftist Petro!  I guess one could expect a backlash from the right wing monetarily... but, for me, this was a complete surprise....

So a big recalculation was in order, which will not please the realtor and the prospective buyers (who love the house) and are to come tonight at 9pm, when Cristina is home from Tulua (yes... again).  There will be a lot of unhappy campers tonight but it is not our fault... 

I see no reason to sell this perfectly situated, private house with the huge yard for the dogs unless someone pays us a ridiculous amount.  Right now I won't sell under $75,000 USD, and even then, we likely won't find anything comparable for less price anywhere else decent.  This will actually be a big relief to me to just stay put...

That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.