Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thursday May 23, 2019 Birds


SUBSCRIBE ON THE RIGHT to get this Blog sent direct to your email>>
This was working again…  THANK YOU all for your patience and support.
Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
******
Thursday May 23, 2019
This is Blog # 1,700 under this banner.....  
Wednesday:  I walked the dogs and later encountered a fellow that Cristina had told me about.  She said he walked with a white Husky puppy, had a beard, was Israeli and spoke English.  It turns out that he is a Kurdish Israeli that also speaks Norwegian and Finnish and his name is Aram (Aaron).  We have now made arrangements to meet here with him, his American-born Colombian wife, and David on Saturday.
We zoomed into Tulua to get my documents for my new Government Health Insurance (EPS).  They say that we pay one month late so I presume that my first required payment will be July 1-7.  I also have only the choice of going in to their office to pay, or pay a bit extra to send it from here.  I find it hardly worth the time, aggravation, expense, or wear and tear on the car to run in every month.  Mind you, we seem to be in Tulua every second day anyway...  Cost is 77,000 pesos a month or $22.84 USD.   It won't be perfect, but it is for emergencies only.
We went to LA14 for a quick grocery run and then I spent most of the evening watching The Sopranos.

Thursday:  As soon as I opened the bedroom door with the dogs this morning it just started to sprinkle.  The dogs didn't want to go in the back yard, they just all kept looking up at me because they do so enjoy their daily walk.  Oh well, it is just a refreshing sprinkle so out we went for an abbreviated version.
Our handle on the bedroom door was all loose and I was worried about locking ourselves in, so I got busy investigating that.  I was all prepared to replace the handle with a spare that I have but it really was a simple matter of re-tightening the outside collars.  I love it when things turn out to be much easier than expected.
While I was on a roll I went out to fix the plant hangers out back where I also hang the hummingbird feeders.  I had the wire and pliers and that went according to Hoyle as well.  I was quite proud of myself.
I saw the hummer making a few visits so I sat out back with the Lumix for a bit.  It is a great daytime camera and has a better zoom than the Canon.  Remember that I also put it back to shooting RAW to give me more processing lattitude.  In looking at the photos I realized that this is a different bird.  Investigation on Merlin shows this one to be a Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird.  I also double-checked on what Cristina called the Turtledoves and they turn out to be Ruddy Ground Doves.  Not quite as romantic, eh?
David subscribed to F1 TV Pro so we can now watch the races in English and it has all kinds of options for watching what we want, when we want, etc.  So he invited me over to play with it as the practice runs are today for Saturday's qualifying, and Sunday's race in Monaco which is always exciting.  It is a very neat application and we watched a retrospective on the great Niki Lauda as well.  Formula 1 is so interesting but I am beginning to hate the internal politics of the sport.
David is counting the days for Irma to return from South Africa on the 29th.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.
Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 
If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Start


This bird is different from the Tyrian Metaltail

This is a Rufous Tailed Hummingbird

Very similar, but no dark patch behind the eye

He also doesn't seem to fan his tail as much

The dogs seem to like roots

Mr Saffron Finch

Mrs Saffron Finch (like a Canary)

Tom Thumb  (RTH version) keeps coming back.  That's good!

Check out this ruffled view of him

Ruddy Ground Dove

Tom is a good poser

Such a pretty boy

My other friends are keeping an eye on me



Fin