Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Wednesday Jan 16, 2019 Campo Alegre


SUBSCRIBE ON THE RIGHT to get this Blog sent direct to your email>>
This is working again.  THANK YOU all for your patience and support.
Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
******
Wednesday Jan 16, 2019 Updated
I got the sad news that my old neighbour in Okotoks, Janet Roberts, passed away at age 91 on Monday.  She will be happy to be with her husband of many, many years, Ted.
This photo was taken when I was last in Canada Feb 2, 2016 and she was still living alone next door to my old place.  I could never have asked for sweeter neighbours and it never hurt to shovel their driveway for them.
Obit = https://www.lenecrologue.com/canada/alberta/area-de-calgary/foothills/okotoks/pincher-funeral-chapel/Rn83/janet-florence-roberts/obituaries/


Today was another blustery day and we don't mind as it keeps the heat down.  
We made a quick trip into Tulua for groceries and came back to Andalucia for lunch at a new place bordering the central park.  The park area is mostly blocked off from the main road as they prepare for festivities to commence tomorrow according to Cristina.  They have lots of booths being set up around the perimeter and there were already a lot of them selling hats today.  The big stage with huge speakers is a shot 1.5 blocks from our house so we won't miss much sound-wise.  There appears to be a catwalk in front of the stage so there may be a "Queen" competition happening.  We'll see.
There are at least two noisy, short parades that go by every day led by the firetruck.  They must be really bored at the firehall.
We then visited Gilma, then the cemetery where Carlos showed up as well.  He said he would be at our house at 7:30am tomorrow to do some of the needed repairs we have been awaiting for what,.. 2 months?  I am not going to hold my breath.
Then Cristina didn't want to go home yet and she suggested we go out to Campo Aleger where we once visited an aunt of hers.  But she couldn't tell me exactly where, nor could she remember the name of the aunt, so we just took a drive to admire the countryside.  An unusual palm tree and some very old, large trees were the highlight.  The palm tree info is:
"Ravenala is a genus of flowering plants with a single species, Ravenala madagascariensis, commonly known as traveller's tree or traveller's palm, from Madagascar.  It is not a true palm (family Arecaceae) but a member of a monocotyledonous flowering plant family, Strelitziaceae."  Enquiring minds wanted to know....

UPDATE:  I had bought some Lemon Pepper here, and the other day, some generic chicken wings with the intention of doing my own Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings.  I didn't bother with a recipe, I just went from freezer to fridge, and later to microwave for 3 minutes.  Then in a large metal bowl, because we don't yet have a baking sheet, I added oil and lemon pepper.  I put the bowl in our gas oven for 20 minutes before using the broiler on our toaster oven.  I think they should change the name from Lemon Pepper to Lemon Salt but they ended up almost as good as we get every Wednesday with our wing group in Okotoks.  
Most of the recipes I just looked at online use deep-frying....

Way back in 2005 I founded the Southern Alberta Country Couples Club with the intention mostly of this group getting together to dance.  Later this "group" morphed into meeting once a week for Wings, and I am happy to say, this group still meets every week at Original Joe's in Okotoks, I think on Wednesdays.  I miss you guys!

AND...  I just got word from Bella regarding the latest Coopera payout.  My records were that Coopera still owed us $2,153.15, and this payout was $1,485.68 , reducing our amount owing to $667.47, excluding interest or penalties.  I won't quit until we get it all, PLUS interest and penalties.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.
Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 
If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 
A Saffron Finch at the central park

Lots of booths being set up around the main park

Festivities start tomorrow?

Those big black things in the scaffolding are speakers

This catwalk should make things interesting
The main road is shut off a block away, sending traffic down our street mostly.

Unusual Traveler's Palm

Love the misty mountain view

Love this close-up even more...

One very old, large tree

And a different old, large tree