Thursday, February 15, 2024

Wednesday February 14, 2024 Travel Update

 

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:

 http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/

or al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Wednesday February 14, 2024

John was 1/2 hour late picking us up, traffic was stupid as always,... and he took a route through the town of Rozo to have breakfast, and the traffic through that neverending town was slower yet...  I had told him and Cristina that the plan had to be first get to the airport, check-in the big luggage, then have breakfast at the airport, so I had to insist we head to the airport "stat"....  

We got out at International departures and had to move to the next terminal for domestic departures because the first flight was only to Bogota...  Luckily everything went smoothly.  I had breakfast at La Locura and it was awful...  Cristina and John ate my crumbs because they wanted to eat on the way back in Rozo for a decent meal....  I guess that I could not blame them.  John took some neat pictures that I am sharing.

Leaving Colombia is always bittersweet.  Cristina was such a wonderful wife during my stay and, of course, the dogs were such a pleasure...  I miss them all already.

Then we were 1/2 hour late leaving Cali and I was worried about the short layover that my bag would get successfully moved to the Toronto flight!

I always ask for the exit seat when booking because of the legroom and this time, and also later leaving Bogota, they insisted that everything I had, fanny pack and pillow, bestored above in the overhead bins!  I was not happy with this but, in hindsight, I probably could have held my camera without complaint....  I'll have to check next time....

We got away from Bogota 1/2 hour late too, and the manner in having to buy your own meal seemed to take forever.  I ordered a chicken sandwich, a bottle of Sprite, and two Doritos, costing $15.50 USD, and having to put that on the credit card...  The sandwich was excellent, but the 35gm bags of Doritos were a tiny joke...

Parraleling the US coast at sunset was interesting.  We followed along a high "roll cloud", which can be, and probably was, up to 600 kms long and 1-2 kms high, well above the other cloud cover!  It seemed neverending, and we seemed to follow it almost all the way to Canada...

We arrived in Toronto almost an hour early!  But by the time we parked, disembarked, and, as always, walk to the exit at the other end of the terminal, it was then the expected arrival time.

Then the wait at the carousel was interminable....  With the short layover, I expected that my bag would have been one of the last put on board and hence one of the first to be unloaded...  WRONG!!!!  The bags came in dribs and drabs and I was beginning to wonder if I would have to put in a claim for a lost bag......  And watching bags get jammed at the exit, and getting their corners and wheels ripped up made my heart sink...  But finally my old bag came out, surprisingly none the worse for wear....  I had fully expected to get it half ripped open....

So, I live a charmed life...  Lou and Yvette were waiting for me and we drove off to Vineland where we had a scrumptious egg salad sandwich before bedtime where I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow in that soft comfy bed.....  I am so happy to be out of the Colombian heat and back to the normality of Canada....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


Will miss my lovely Cristina!

Breakfast for me with Cristina and John

Thanks Johnfor this shot!

Roll cloud, way up high!

We followed it for over and hour at 600mph!

Sunset over the US coast

See the roll cloud...

Close-up