Friday, February 23, 2024

Friday February 23, 2024 Catch-Up

 

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:

 http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/

or al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Friday February 23, 2024

Thursday was a crazy day as I tried to get as much back to normal as possible.  I was up at 7:20am, and had 2 mugs of coffee to keep me going.

After chores, I began the set-up of the new Nikon D850 and that was an eye-opening experience.  I discovered that the D850 does not have an integrated flash and is nowhere like my D5600.

I transferred all my photos and information from the laptop to the PC and that took a long while for the downloads.

WalMart responded by phone to my complaint but were completely useless and unsympathetic to my experience and insulted me with an offer of a $23 refund for the dated salad kits only...  I just said "I am done with you" and hung up....

I made a salad for lunch then continued to try to figure out the D850's autofocus, amongst other things.  I don't pretend to know everything they say in that thick instruction book!

I dug through my Nikon supply and found an old 70-300mm lens that would not work with the D5600 but works well with the D850... so worth a try.  I already have a Tamron 70-300mm on order with good write-ups for clarity and a good price.  Starting at 70mm to focus on something when you are used to 18mm to start is a shock...

So I broke down and ordered a 28-300mm Nikon lens, again with good ratings for clarity...  It is supposed to show up on Wednesday.

And I got deliveries of a few items including a cheap 420-800mm goofy lens for birdwatchers and such, but it came without a promised mount for the Nikon, so I am in communication with the seller to get the mount.  For under $100, it was worth the gamble.

I went down and cleaned up my Gio as well as Bob's.  The batteries were still good but need a test run.

I was so pooped, I went to bed at 9pm!

Today I was up at 8am reluctantly but Cristina was after me to check on a couple of Amazon deliveries to her that have not shown up.

After chores I watched a fabulous curling match between my 2 favourite teams, Homan vs Einarson.  Homan is 9-0 in the Scotties and was my favourite to win from the start.

Then I actually cooked a bacon and egg lunch before a short nap.  

I spent the early afternoon trying to figure out the 2 slave flashes I have to work with the D850.  It still has me stumped...  I may need to check with Don to figure things out.

Bob's wife Trish was by to visit him and I was brought up for introductions.  She is the same age as Cristina and very pretty too.  Bob gave her a trunkful of groceries and I helped haul that out to her car.

Later Bob invited me up for some of his always-delicious homemade soup...

Since the weather is supposed to get nastier starting Monday I decided that I better confirm my suspicions about the Nikon 70-300mm lens on the D850.  I had already ascertained that my existing 18-300mm from the D5600 is no better on the D850, hence the reason to order the new 28-300mm.

I dressed up and took the Gio to the other end of the High Level Bridge and took photos there and back, a total of 25 pics.  The quality is exactly as poor as I expected and the 10 pics below are proof of that.  I got the new camera precisely because I am tired of cleaning up "noise" in every darn shot....   Oh, I do hope the new lenses solve that problem...  The Gio worked well but the batteries went down as expected so I plugged it in.

Now it is time to watch curling and hockey....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 




These are taken at 70mm!