Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Wednesday September 20, 2023 Gios

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or

al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Wednesday September 20, 2023

Monday was very windy and 17C, so it felt a lot cooler than that...

I got a call from "Private number" that turned out to be someone from Service Canada about my GIS application.  This woman seemed determined to classify me as separated, which is not the truth, and yet she wanted me to send Cristina a form to sign to indicate her income, whic, of course is zero... and zero in Canada....  She agreed to discuss with a supervisor before making a final decision.... Yuk!

I watched tennis from Guadalajara, Mexico featuring probable cousin Eugenie Bouchard, but my cheering was to no avail.  She was slightly injured and playing very poorly so she didn't even come close to winning.

My friend Bob loves to cook so he keeps inviting me to share dinner with him, today being a very thick delicious soup, plus I had take-out for lunch on Tuesday...

I blasted through 300 pages of a Clive Cussler book called Nighthawk that was a real page-turner...  So much better than the Robert Ludlum one called The Prometheus Deception.  I think that is the first time that I have been disappointed in a Ludlum novel...  Just too many twists and turns finally turn you off...

Tuesday I tried to downlaod an old movie for friend Don, 3 days of the Condor.  But there were few seeders available, so after over 3 hours only 15% had downloaded and I gave up...

Supposedly we are supposed to be able to attend the Oilers training camp for free at Rogers Place but nowhere, and I mean nowhere, could I find out the times to go...  So very frustrating!

I made a quick grocery run to Save-On Foods and a handicapped fellow pulled in next to me with the enclosed Gio that looks like a small Smart Car.  He was raving about it and said that it good even up to -20C temperature, so that made me start thinking whether it is worth it to trade up....

On the CHED, Global news website I came across an ad for a TV gadget basically promising IPTV for a cheap price.  I got sucked in, then was bombarded with extras to pay for that they had indicated previously were included in the price.  Needless to say, I immediately asked for cancellation of the order.  I contacted the bank but they say I have to allow the authroization process 1 week, and then, if they have not refunded the money as requested, I can begin a dispute.  It is really beginning to rankle me that so many supposed reputable site allow this type of BS advertising....  Facebook, Yahoo, etc are rampant with this crap.

I went to bed at 10:30pm, took extra Melatonin, and woke up at 1:51am and got up for a few hours.... before returning to bed.

This morning, we had a sprinkle and a very cool 8C for my ride down to Gateway Motorsports.  I had called yesterday afternoon to enquire about my windshield replacement again, since it has been 3 months since they ordered it....  They decided to swap it with one of their stock and to replace the lost grommet screw that holds the bottom.  Within 40 minutes it was done and I am so happy to have the structural inbtegrity restored to my Gio Element.

They also had to higher-priced fully enclosed Gio outside so I asked to look it over closely and drive it in the lot.  It was a poor test drive because the battery was drained and the unit would not go above 17kph.  They also admitted that the advertising for Air-conditioning is completely false, it can only blow a little warm air down, or to the windshield.  

On the +Plus side, it has a radio with USB port, 4-way flashers, backup camera, bigger tires, sunroof, windows that open, seatbelt, large storage space althgough not sectioned off in any way, and bumpers.

On the -Minus side, it has no A/C as advertised, no backup lights, no cup holders, no accessory plug-in, and a poor battery life display.  The biggest drawback for me is the awkward entry and cramped space for the feet, with little room to maneuver for comfort.  The door handles are awkwardly almost behind the shoulders and the charging port is solely at the rear of the unit.   Still, it is worth another look so I have just asked them to be sure to charge the unit and I will come back for another look tomorrow...

I stopped at McDonald's near Whyte Avenue and had to try the new Mighty McMuffin with sausage and double bacon...  It was small but yummy.

All photos today were taken with the Lumix.  I am still trying to warm myself up...

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Eugenie Bouchard

She was playing hurt

They had a medical break and bandaged her leg

Comparing my Gio Element

Other is lower, bigger, wider

Need a proper test drive to decide

Being enclosed would be much better in winter

Charging port is at the back

Interior unfortunately has very poor legroom

Lots of room to the sides

Rear bench not enclosed for storage, etc

Construction delays along Whyte Ave.

Cool day

Thbis Tram was stopped for repairs

A peek inside

Language controls in Asian?

Some day I will ride it...

At least there is little smoke today