Thursday, January 26, 2023

Thursday January 26, 2023 Repairs

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Thursday January 26, 2023

It is a good thing that I allow the date and time in the corner of my computer so I have a clue what day it is....

We did an early walk with the crew and lucked out with an exceptionally quiet one, both pigs were out, and we visited the mare and filly, but Whitey was nowhere around....  And we could see smatterings of cloud and a couple of faint stars....  I really have no idea how I might try to see and photograph the new comet at the end of this month...

Leonel came at 7am so I didn't get much a nap in between.  I love working with this guy, because he is so knowledgeable, and he just attacks the job.  He wastes no time.  He sharpened his machete with a file and went out and hacked down our damaged trees in quick order.  I was so impressed with his sharp machete being able to whack large branches in a single stroke!  And he cleans up well afterwards.  We are so lucky to have him come and help us.

The big tree in the corner that supplied most of the yard shade had a main trunk leaned over so much that the roots were likely to give way any day.  Leonel made short work of hacking that into manageable chunks.  We hacked many rotten plantains and left the clippings to compost there in our "lake" area.  We straightened and propped up a newer tree at the back (I lose track which fruit it is, I think that is another mango).  Then we had him plant in the ground 3 roses that we had bought months ago.  So nice to get all of those repairs done in less than 2 hours!!!  

We discovered new white cottonlike fuzz under many big leaves of various trees so we have a new pest happening.  I just found a site that suggests mealybugs,... and they are in a lot of our trees....  We need pesticides which won't harm our dogs....

I then watered all our plants which were all pretty dry.  That should cause a rain this afternoon?

Then I rushed through the rest of my chores, showered, etc, had lunch, and we were out the door by 11:30.  We delivered plantains to Aunt Nativa and picked up diapers for Ana Julia which we delivered.  I dropped Cristina off there at Adiela's with more plantains and oranges.  She and Adiela are doing some dog adoptions today.

I went to Exito at LA14 and bought meat for us, beef liver for the dogs, and my veggies.  By the time I cut up my 2 cabbages, I was due for a quick nap.

At 5pm I am to help Aram with a practice math exam.  I am not sure what form that will take yet....

Oh, and last night I just finished a great series on NetFlix called (in English) "Women Of War", a French-made series called "Combattantes".   Highly recommended....  5 stars!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  I had unusual problems uploading again.  It took 4 tries....   That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Part of the corner tree taken down

Hacking the main trunk

He makes short work of branches

Incredible machete work..  Firewood?

Straightened this mango tree

So much more sun in the backyard again

Planted double rose

Digging for another

Can you see all the dogs in the sun?