Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Wednesday April 15, 2020 Pedigrees


SUBSCRIBING ON THE RIGHT  IS working again… ??   >>>>>>>>>>
To be safe, PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.
Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
******
Wednesday April 15, 2020
This week, so far, has been decidedly cooler with regular showers, .. such a refreshing change.
Yesterday I worked on kids photos until my eyes were dropping, then it was nap time.  Netflix did not want to load on the Smart TV, no matter what I did, so I ended up watching several more episodes of "Versailles" on this computer.  It is a good thing that my office chair is really comfortable with lumbar support.

Today I was all revved up to get out of the house for a bit but it turns out there was little to do, so we gave it a pass.  I did walk the dogs, did my chores and went for a nap just as it started to rain for a bit.
You folks know that a good part of our lives is looking after several dogs, with 11 dogs in residence at the moment, 9 permanent and 2 temporaries.  I decided that today I would give you a quick rundown on each dog.  I entitled this Blog "Pedigrees", which is a misnomer, because none of our dogs have any pedigrees, they are all mongrel Heinz-57 street dogs, and we are proud to have them.  A pedigree does not make any dog more lovable or better.  I have decided to list them in the order that we took them in....

Mariposa
Mariposa (Butterfly) was Cristina's dog and moved from Andalucia to Cuenca in 2015 along with another small dog Lupe who unfortunately got sick and died on the operating table.  Mariposa, or Posa for short, is our crazy redhead.  She is one of our 5 morning walking dogs.  Usually a loner who protects her space with loud barks and bared teeth, she is often the instigator of running games with the other dogs.  She continuously comes up to me as I am working, puts a scratchy paw on my bare thigh, wanting some attention and her head rubbed.  She is the matriarch of our clan.

Turi
Turi was obtained from a dog refuge to be a companion for Mariposa in 2016 after Lupe passed away.  Turi is named for the town where she was found.  There were many dogs at the refuge looking for a home, all dirty, barking and straining at the fence to be petted.  Except one.  Turi was way behind the pack, quiet and calm, and clean like she had just been washed.  Our intention was to get a small dog that day but Turi's stoicity won the day.  She is a shedder and we have swept up bags of her hair over the years.  As soon as I shut off my computer, Turi is guaranteed to be by my side, hoping to go for a walk.  Yes, she is one of my morning 5.  The other 4 strain to pull me whereas Turi heels perfectly.  It is rare to see Turi engage in play with the other dogs, keeping out of trouble, but she is our Number 1 guard dog whenever the front door is open and watching through the back door which never closes.  I love this dog so much.

Princesa
Princesa was being incessantly chased by 5 male dogs in Cuenca because she was in heat.  Cristina chased her for 90 minutes before finally cornering her with the aid of a neighbour.  Princesa just sat down as if to say "Thank You".  She was a massive ball of fur and a completely gorgeous dog once washed and cleaned.  She is another of the morning 5 and usually the leader who has to check out everything on the road.  She has to be constantly reminded not to eat anything off the street.  Her fur is so soft, mostly poodle I guess, and she is another of daddy's girls.  She loves to play fight, usually in a defensive position on her back so she gets dirty every time.  She is lightning fast and is always there to chase away mice or that darn cat that walks our walls.  She is also very protective of any tiny creatures that are often rescued by Cristina.

Buddy
Buddy was another mass of dirty soft fur (mostly poodle too?) who Cristina brought home in 2016 when he was mooching in friendly fashion at the corner drugstore in Cuenca.  I named him after Jerry Lewis' alter-ego in the Nutty Professor, Buddy Love.  He is a sweet cuddler with humans and just loves to have his tummy rubbed.  He is one of the early morning walkers.  I also call him my Tom Cruise because of the absolutely perfect straight way he walks and runs.  He joins in on group play-fights, happily back-biting and barking, but all in fun.  He is a social-distancer, barking at any dog that invades his spere of influence.

The above 4 are the group that made the long move with Cristina in January 2018 to Tulua.  There was another little red terrier dog, Jack, as well but he was a biter and not social with other dogs.  We got him adopted out to where he would be the only dog and that was perfect for him.  We see him occasionally but he does not remember us.

Negrita
Negrita (Little Black Girl) was the dog of Cristina's son so we naturally took over her care.  She is definitely a loner, and likes to nap on my pillow.  She is on the anti-social side but is one of the regulars on the bed overnight, usually in the crook of our knees.  Usually very quiet and aloof, she does get into the group chasing away that darn cat.

NeNe (baby) or Peluche (Teddy bear) was brought to us early in 2018 after being run over by 2 motorcycles.  He appeared to be broken in several places and they did not expect him to survive the night.  But he was such a little fighter that I told Cristina that we would keep him if he survived.  X-rays showed that he was bent in several places, especially his back and his right legs, but nothing broken.  We brought in Juliana to give him physiotherapy and soon, he was not only walking, but anxious to go on walks.  He doesn't get up for many walks these days but that is OK, he can come anytime he wants to.  He does not walk straight, his right side is more like peg legs, but he gives it his all and is an inspiration that never fails to make me smile.  He is the main soft cuddler for Cristina and a great doorbell, the first to know when someone is near our doorway, which he cannot see...

Nina
Nina (baby girl) came from a litter that was being adopted out.  We took a bunch of puppies to a town up north in January 2019 for an adoption event and they all got adopted.  Nina kept giving me this sad look like "What?  You don't want me anymore?"  I had made the mistake of letting her be with me everywhere, even sleeping next to me, so she had wormed her way into my black heart.  I could not give her up, and I held her out of the adoption ring.  Needless to say, she still sleeps right next to me and is never far away.  She has grown fat because there isn't anything that she won't eat.  If anything hits the floor, she is the first one there.  Despite her chubbiness, she is surprisingly agile, due in part largely to Grigi who play fights with her incessantly.  The sad look is unchanged.

Grigi
Grigi (grey in Italian) was a tiny mother of two brown pups that we got adopted out as Grigi was a resident of the Animal Park in 2019.  I just loved the colouring of this small, sweet dog who craved my affection so I did not argue when Cristina decided that we would take her in.  She has fit in well, especially being the playmate of Nina as they begin several play fights every day.  Grigi is the first pup to join me for naps.  She likes to cuddle between my legs as I am watching TV in the recliner and has been a great addition to the house.

Rocas (rocks) is so named because of the colouring on her back.  She came as a temporary from the Animal Park in 2019 that needed chemotherapy for vaginal cancer.  She endured multiple bouts and we were told that they likely did not get it all and she might have reoccurrences.  Knock on wood (my head) she has been fine for months.  Most days she is the fifth walker in the mornings, but not great on the leash yet, however we have learned to cope.  Like all rescues, she craves affection so I do go out of my way to pay her special attention.  She is mostly a loner, but sometimes joins Grigi and Nina in their shenanigans.

Killer
Killer is someone's dog but they are too poor to look after him so he has been a resident here since last September.  He was hit by a car, has broken rear legs, bad leg wounds that won't heal and ulcerated eyes.  They have not definitively said that an expensive operation will allow him to walk again so that has been awaiting a cash infusion from donors.  Claudia and Daniel come daily to minister to Killer along with Cristina.  Killer is presently homed on the patio which he enjoys and he manages to drag himself over the edge and into the grass and sunshine.   He has a cart to hold his rear end and can get very mobile with it.  Attempts to get him adopted to a rich benefactor have so far been unsuccessful.  He wears a diaper during most of the day to help keep him clean.  He is another fighter so we have to give him the credit that he is due.

Zorra (Vixen) is a temporary from Febrruary this year that also has undergone hopefully successful chemotherapy for vaginal cancer.  She has skin conditions and remains incontinent, so she is staying with us until she improves.  She is learning to blend in, often engaging with Grigi and Nina for play-fighting.  This is another head that needs to be rubbed often so she knows that she is loved.

 So that is our doggy crew that we love so much.  At nights, Mariposa, Zorra, Rocas and Grigi are outside our bedroom.  Killer is on the patio.  On the floor of the bedroom we usually have Turi, Buddy and Princesa.  On the bed we will have Nina, NeNe, and Negrita.  The bunch from the floor will often be on the bed in the early morning.  It was a wise move for us to invest in a king-sized bed!

2 more bad photos for you today:
The buzzards keep tabs on me

 
Tom Thumb was watching me, uncooperative.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.
Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 
If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.