Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Tuesday February 28, 2023 Going, Going

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blogs:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/ and https://cuencaresidency.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Tuesday February 28, 2023

I sure didn't get much sleep as almost the whole group of dogs kept interchanging places between Cristina and I as though they knew that we needed the cuddles.  I really did not mind and had my last walk with the group of 4 as we went by to say goodbye to the usual morning suspects, the little pig, the calves, horses, etc.

Then I stayed up and did chores until Cristina got up and we both prepared to leave, expecting vet John Faber Rojas to be late as usual, but he showed up 10 minutes early!  I gave each dog a quick nuzzle before leaving, not lingering too much because I was sure to become a blubbering fool if I dragged it out.  I am going to really miss my wonderful doggies.

We had a leisurely breakfast near the Cali airport before heading to the Departures area 3 hours in advance, which really was unnecessary for a domestic flight to Bogota.  But the upside is that my Priority ticket let me bypass lineups and the girl offered me an earlier flight so I would have a safer 2.5 hour layover in Bogota which made sense to me.  I said OK, as long as I got my same exit seat, which she arranged!  My one bag was bang on 50 lbs, and the other a hair less... Whew!!

Again, making the goodbye with Cristina was also made quickly and with only hints of tears as we both declared our love for each other and parted ways, possibly forever, except electronically....  I may forever second-guess this life-changing decision....

Security checks were exceptionally lax compared to the last few years with scanning shoes, checking all liquids, dusting laptops, etc.  It was a breeze to go through. 

So I got to Bogota around 12:30 instead of 2pm and I managed a leisurely lunch and let John and Cristina know that all was well.

The standard rule of airports and me is that wherever I enter is diametrically opposed to the opposite end of the airport where I need to go... every darn time!!  It is a good thing that I had the extra time.  Again the security check for the international flight was exceedingly simple!  Actually shocking!

As I got to the departure gate, I sat next to a Brazilian girl with a black dog that immediately came to me like an emotional support dog should, ..lol. 

The flight was full to Toronto as well and I eventually struck up a conversation from my seatmates from Toronto who had strange seating supports for back, neck and bums...  It turns out the 3 were exotic dancers returning from body enhancement and breast reduction surgeries in Bogota! The one girl next to me, Naomi, was Portuguese, very talkative, and an absolute whiz with cellular phone navigation and texting.  I had never seen fingers move so fast.

The clouds in the Bogota area were spectacular as we flew out and then the rest of the flight was boring white haze outside until sunset, which could have been better with more cloud above the horizon...  

6.5 hours in a plane is about my limit now and I was very pleased to land in Toronto and actually get parked rather quickly this time.  Naomi helped me log onto Pearson airport wifi so I could try to contact Lou and Yvette to coordinate our pickup.  Damned Movistar had cancelled my account early so my wifi was compromised.  Walking to the other end of the terminal, AGAIN, I spotted a bored lady with one of those motorized carts nearby and asked if she would mind giving us a ride and she said "yes"!  That sure was pleasant and saved us a lot of shoe leather!

Going for the luggage, we were sent to Carousel 10 initially, then sent to the second-last Carousel 12 which they kept announcing.  Then one of the other passengers kindly came over to tell us that the luggage actually did finally appear at Carousel 10, so we went back there and found my 2 bags at opposite ends, of course!

Even though my communications with my sister were garbled, we did manage to find each other to begin the 1.5 hour drive to Vineland.  We had a delicious snack of coconut pie on arrival and I quickly let Cristina and John know that I had arrived safely.  It was well after midnight when I collaped into the nice soft bed to let my stomach settle and then fall into a very deep, needed sleep.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Leaving Cali

Arrival in Bogota

The friendly Brazilian dog

Leaving Bogota

Area around Bogota is impressive

Evenmore impressive were the big fluffy clouds

Strange view of passenger in a mask

Sunset shot which I enhanced....

Lowering into Toronto area

Toronto skyline

and another

Arrival with my seatmates