Friday, February 1, 2019

Friday Feb 1, 2019 New Friends


SUBSCRIBE ON THE RIGHT to get this Blog sent direct to your email>>
This is working again.  THANK YOU all for your patience and support.
Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
******
Friday Feb 1, 2019 Updated
I walked the dogs then had very little time left before we ran before 7am to Dr John Rojas with Cafe for her 6th chemo treatment.  He is such a great vet.  Even though he had other people waiting, he took the time to cut Cafe's nails and to cauterize the ends.  Cafe seems to be really responding well to this round of chemo so I don't mind spending the money this time.
We stopped for gas and money on the way home and had a little time so I could upload my photo for sale.  It is just such a natural routine every day.
I also got word from my Canadian bank CIBC, via email, surprise, surprise, that they have cancelled that blasted Aventura card, and the annual fee.  I was amazed that they responded via email...
Then we rushed back to Tulua by 9:45am to meet with Dave and Irma so they could show us the way to a German restaurant run by friends, and to meet his best friend, Wolfgang.  The restaurant is only about 3 blocks from our normal route into LA14 so it will be easy to find again.  It was our first time down that road which Dave said continued on into the wilderness...
The restaurant is run by a German, Berthold, and his lovely Colombian wife Zenaida.  Cristina had a delightful pork sandwich on a delicious bun, while I chose to try Dave's suggestion of their German sausage, with the same bun and tomato sauce.  That was such a good choice that I had a second order and bought some sausage to take home.  
While there we met with Wolfgang and his lovely Colombian wife Fabiola who has lots of family in Bugalagrande, close to us.  1 other German fellow along with 2 Swiss men rounded out our group.  One of the Swiss is the butcher and sausage-maker from Buga.  All are very nice people, fellow bikers, and it was a pleasure to make an acquaintance of them all.  We had heard so much about them from Dave.
Since we were pointed that way upon leaving, we decided to drive up that road to see the views he talked about.  About 3 blocks away we through an underpass of the highway, no exits, and continued up the mountains to the southeast.  The day was actually dreary and sprinkly so I have enhanced those photos somewhat.  We didn't go too far but the evidence is there for gorgeous views so we will save that for a nicer day for better photos.
On our return we decided to check the bank machines at La Herradura to try to obtain my Coopera cash from my Banco Pichincha Debit card.  We tried 3 more machines with the right symbols but none would spit me out any money...  So,... I decided right then and there to go to the bedding store and use the card there to see if it would work that way.  We chose a plain king-size bed, but very comfortable, along with the grey bases for about the $700 I got back from the last Coopera payout.  We tried the card and it worked!!!  They will deliver a newly manufactured bed direct to our home around Feb 9.
After having a king-sized bed in Cuenca it was difficult to go back to a double bed, especially considering that we share it with 3-4 dogs every night.  It would be nice to have the room to turn around without waking every time.
Then, of course, we had to go to Exito at the other end of the shopping center where we found 2 different styles and colours of king-sized sheets.  We just need a waterproof mattress cover and we will be ready....
I did try my electric drill with first a zip tie, then a piece of wire and it was another dismal failure.  There are just not enough RPM's provided to get the whip we need to cut the quack grass.  So I will keep an eye out for a grass whip, or get one made?
I also burned the second batch of cut branches and leaves, taking advantage of a no-wind afternoon.  They were still a little green so the burn wasn't as good as it should be.
THANK YOU to my faithful readers.  I promise to try to get back to doing interesting things.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.
Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 
If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
OK
Cafe is very good about getting the shots

This vet is the real McCoy

Berthold & Zenaida's restaurant.  Note the German flag /\

Clockwise: Cristina, 3 Swiss guys, Berthold, Fabiola, Irma

Wolfgang is at the other end.  Dave is hidden by Irma.

Lots of German conversation, some Spanish, some English

Fabiola & Zenaida

Long view back to Tulua from the eastern mountains

No sunshine today...  Loved that pointy little mountain.

Beautiful green valleys

We bought this style of bed, but king-size

Our bases will be grey