Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saturday May 13, 2023 Edmonton

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday May 13, 2023

Today is a very emotional day for me as it is the anniversary of the loss of one of my favourite people, cousin Maurice Jalbert, who was more like a brother to me and we were so alike in thoughts and temperament.  I am so very happy that I got to spend a fun week with him late March, early April last year, about 5 weeks before Covid ravaged him.  Rest in peace my good friend.

We miss you big guy!

Going through my photos to do various tasks I naturally come across photos of my dogs and that is always a heart-tugging experience.  I miss my doggies so much.

Since I have a trip to do in 5 weeks I needed to plan a little because I either have large or very small luggage.  I decided to check, and ended up ordering a personalized carry-on, using some of my photography money stored in PayPal.  I will show you when it arrives.

Even though I was tired, it was too nice a day to be indoors so I forced myself to jump on Golden and venture straight east.  This is the bottom south edge of downtown, overlooking the river valley of the North Saskatchewan.  The center of Edmonton has always been the MacDonald Hotel, the first place I stayed for a week when the Bank Of Nova Scotia transferred me here to work at the branch at 111 Avenue and 95 St. in May of 1968.  The skyscrapers across the street to the west were just coming out of the ground then.  The whole skyline of Edmonton has completely changed since those heady days.

There is now a Funicular (diagonal people elevator) below that landmark now, and it is the first one that I have seen that is automated, and free!

The Edmonton Queen Paddlewheeler was on the river, although I don't know if they still call it that.  I continued on to 95th Street, looking across the river at the 4 pyramids of the Muttart Conservatory, another familiar landmark.  This is next to Gallagher Park where the Pope John Paul II held a gathering in 1984.  I remember watching the Popemobile going by, a block from our home as he arrived.

At that point, I was concerned that the power of Golden was faltering even though we had basically stayed on the flats and thought we were within its limitations.  Not!  I had to help Golden home for the final 10 blocks.  It is a good thing that I reacted early, disembarked, allowing what little power remained to be augmented by slight pushing from me.  We might feel that in the muscles later tonight..??

I am still using the Lumix at the moment, and both batteries for it are also weak.  At least I always carry the extra battery with me.

The Nikon is still pointed at the new bird feeder which is not garnering any attention.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Our St Joachim church

The Legislature

Looking southeast

Looking southwest

The MacDonald landmark

The Funicular

The Funicular car arriving above

The central river valley, Low Level Bridge

The Edmonton Queen in the distance

The Edmonton Queen mooring spot

Looking over the pyramids of the Muttart Conservatory

Provincial flags

Canada Place

Muttart Conservatory

A Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Lovely bridge work

Muttart

Chinese Park and Muttart

Magpie

Looking southwest

This is an LRT bridge

Edmonton Queen

Downtown is on the northe side of the river

Beautiful skyline

A tribute to the Explorers?