Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday June 26, 2015 Scooter

Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Friday June 26, 2015
OK, this wasn't one of my better days.   Another dull and rainy day where I should just have stayed in bed.
I got an email back finally from my insurance man.  First, he still doesn't have the refund on my car insurance (apparently they wanted to phone me about something but I was away).  Second,, he says that he needs a few days to find me motorcycle insurance!!  The ridiculousness of Ecuador never ceases to amaze...
I went to my main bank and withdrew enough to bring over to my other band where all my automatic payments are deducted for health, cable, and utilities, about $150 per month.  The security guard got his jollies feeling up my backpack, because they have to feel important.
Then I went to pick up the new Fatty scooter and was not surprised that my salesman was not present.  I was also not surprised that the cleanup consisted of a pressure wash spray job while I watched.  Of no surprise either was that the gas tank read "empty" when I had asked the salesman to be sure it was full ($1.70 value...).  What did surprise me was that the storage compartment would not even hold the helmet that I had chosen.  I didn't want to wear that helmet, I had brought the smaller one I had bought at Coral but now I was forced to wear it.  The mechanic went through the checklist and briefly showed me the warranty book with the first servicing at 300 kms.  He gave me the warranty and of course that was different than was promised too.  The salesman finally showed up and laughed off the gas issue.  I just had to leave there before I punched someone.
I had worn my leather jacket and hiking boots, and had brought my other helmet and gloves but those two things stayed in my backpack.  I should have at least put on the gloves....
I filled up the gas tank and made it to my neighbourhood with little trouble.   The bike is not very powerful, barely getting up to 60 kph but I never really had the opportunity to open it up for a while.   
I spotted my buddy Raul at the corner to my street and I hollered at him as I was turning in.  My head was turned and I didn't see the patch of gravel on the road.  The front end slid away and I embarrassingly took a tumble in front of Raul, my neighbours, and a whole bunch of people at the bus stop.  My new bike now has less than 10 kms on it and it is already scraped up a tad, not to mention my right palm, elbow and knee, plus my bruised ego.  My ankle and ribs are sore, but nothing serious.  Strangely, the leather jacket only seemed dusty...  I guess that I should be made of leather...
Raul helped me limp home where I washed off the blood and dressed in my gloves and other helmet, and got right back on (like the adage about falling off the horse).  I was determined not to let the fall scare me so I took off south towards El Valle, to see how the bike would do, carrying me up the mountain.  I soon became aware of how much practice I need to control it properly, and how much I need to watch the road constantly.  A little squall was brewing so I cut the ride short and came back home and parked in the garage.
Next came the alcohol cleaning (exterior only) and the ointment.  I am bruised and chastened, but I will live to ride another day.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Fatty is in the garage

It survived the fall really well.  I was impressed.

My shiny new plate

My elbow received the worst of the fall