Monday, June 1, 2015

Sunday May 31, 2015 Rockies

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Sunday May 31, 2015
We were up a little earlier this morning, working on the photos and the Blog, then we went to Wendy’s to get salads for lunch.  The nice thing is that Wendy’s is connected to Tim Horton’s so we also got to connect to wi-fi to complete our tasks and check emails, etc. 
Thankfully the emails are few while I am away.  The photo that I posted on Facebook of our entire family sure got a lot of comments and “likes” and best wishes for Mom’s birthday.
We had a little time, and it was just a gorgeous day, so we jumped in the car and headed west to get a small view of the Rockies.  At the first high hill I took a shot unzoomed, then another fully zoomed, and the range is enormous.  I really am learning to love this new lens….  We even had time to peek at Spruce Meadows and go near the Okotoks overpass before heading in to see Mom at 2:30.
Our oldest brother Fern and his daughter Leslie joined us which makes it a lot easier for us because Fern is good at shouting in Mom’s ear in both English and French.  Mom is getting very hard of hearing, but refuses to wear her hearing aids, so she understands only about 30% of what we say.   Regardless, it was a fun visit.
I was craving the thick pizza that I used to get at Hawaiian Pizza at Mayfair Place so we headed there only to find that it had closed down.  That was a huge disappointment because my history with that place goes all the way back to 1968 when a couple of Greek brothers owned the Uptown Steak House next to my work at the Bank Of Nova Scotia at 5th Street and 8th Avenue.  That was the first time that I had enjoyed pizza, which was part of my going-away party when I got transferred to Edmonton.  Tom had brought over a pizza the size of a table with multiple toppings and I was hooked.  Then they opened the second location at Mayfair Place a couple of years later.  It was always the ultimate best pizza to which all others were compared.
Anyway we decided to just go grab some Little Caesar’s take-out pizzas to take back to the room and to have a quick nap.
At 7:30 we wandered over to Bob & Anne’s condo for a game night.  I forget what they called their card/board game, but it was essentially the same game that we called Aggravation.  We had a very good time, playing 5 games, and the gals snuck out the 3-2 victory with just blind luck (a lot of horseshoes up there…).
I had been sleeping really well until that night but I think I am getting a silly cold and sniffles and scratchy throat from the constant exposure to air-conditioning.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al  


 
The Rockies in the distance, unzoomed

The Rockies, zoomed in

Another Rockies vista

Prime Alberta beef on the hoof

Old tractor and manure spreader on the hill

Don't think that I have ever walked here

This might be a good reason not to....

It looks like it would be interesting though.

Another distant view of the Rockies on a glorious day

View from Spruce Meadows of Calgary

Interesting statuary at Spruce Meadows (cemetery for horses??)

This is the most calming view for me...  Love it!

Old wagon atop a hill near the Okotoks turnoff

Mom at age 99 years and 2 days

Fern and Mom joking around