Friday, June 12, 2015

Friday June 12, 2015 Calgary

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Friday June 12, 2015
Wednesday and Thursday were so hot that they may have set records.  I took a long walk to Westbrook Mall on Thursday and got a lot of sun and a blister on my foot. 
Friday morning was perfectly awful, rainy and cold, .. so much so that locals said they wouldn't be surprised if we got snow....  Welcome to Calgary.
Regardless, I picked up my new passport at the Harry Hays Building and managed to get a few shots downtown before catching the train to the south end to see Mom.  The new Bow Building is the new landmark for Calgary and the striking facial sculpture in front of the building is mesmerizing.
Mom was in better spirits today than on Wednesday and we went for a couple of walks inside the building.  She keeps complaining that she is losing her hearing and that is painfully obvious.  Even speaking to her from 2 feet away many things don't seem to register with her and repetition is the name of the game.   It is good to see her trying to maintain her strength, etc, but the slippage in the past year is really noticeable.
I slipped away a tad early from Mom's because the weather was getting decidedly worse, very windy, cold and rain beginning to fall.  Even though I luckily had my leather jacket with a hood, my pants were very thin and I felt frozen in no time at all.  Yes, I would not have been surprised to see snow...  After my 1.5 hour trip by bus, train, and bus again, I was glad to get back here and put on dry and warm clothes.
I managed to watch some of the Women's World Championship soccer match last night and am very impressed with the caliber of soccer and the sportsmanship shown.  There was none of the diving and faking so prevalent in Professional and World Cup soccer these days that the difference is almost shocking.  
I looked into maybe renting one of these Car2Go Smart Cars that I saw on the street.  That is another new novel way of renting a car by the hour where you can just drop it off anywhere and some other driver will just pick it up there.  Frankly I don't see that $15 an hour is any kind of bargain....  I checked other rentals, even through Priceline, and the rates and insurance scared me off.  I guess that I am walking and busing for another week yet.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Oh Canada....   Love this flag.

Bonavista Village, where Mom has been for 8 years

Mom's suite, where she can keep an eye on all the action

Flowers I saw on my walk yesterday

A long view of some of the downtown skyline from 17th Ave

This painting is to be expected in the home of a Dutchman

The Bow Building and the Calgary Tower

This sculpture is something else...

I wonder if it lights up at night??

This is truly a work of art

It is quite striking when you first spot it

Mom was in good spirits today