Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday July 31, 2015 Return

Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Friday July 31, 2015
Last night we got another surprise when we got a call from Natalia that they were going to drive me to the Cali airport because Natalia had a doctor's appointment there at 2 pm anyway!  Then Cristina was also going to accompany me to the airport as well so it was a happy and sad morning as I had to say good bye to all of these wonderful people.
The airport in Cali is small but at least people don't have to walk out to the planes and climb the steps.  
Esmereldas is a tiny airport and, even though we were to leave within the hour, on the same plane, in the same seat, we had to crawl out of the plane and go through immigration in the terminal, then wait to board again.  It was 80F and really muggy.  To add insult to injury it poured rain exactly when we had to cross the tarmac and wait in line on the steps while idiots farted around blocking the aisle.  It was only an hour's flight, and the little air nozzle was refreshing, but we were still soaked by the time we landed in Quito.
Just before getting to Quito we could see this magnificent peak sticking up above the clouds, no doubt Chimborazo, the mountain that is closest to the sun and furthest from the earth's center.
Now remember that this is a brand-new International Airport in our nation's capital, and we have to crawl down steps and board buses to get to the terminal... sheesh...  I must admit that the terminal is nice and I was especially enamored with the Airport Center building across the way with a reasonable food court.  The weather was gorgeous as I sat outside on the patio and enjoyed some KFC.
LAN airlines made me go through the same ridiculous exercise of putting half of my stuff from my carry-on into a bag so that I didn't have more than 8 Kg in either one.  Trying to explain that, if we are allowed two carry-on items at 8 Kg maximum, isn't one carry-on at 15 Kg preferable, for space and weight???  I just get a blank stare from kids who can't add anything without their cel phone now...
Cuenca's airport is also a one-horse effort with the need to walk across the tarmac from the plane.  The place was just crawling with people waiting for arrivals.   I got out of there as fast as I could and caught a taxi.   I was surprised that he could now shoot right up Avenida Espana and get me home quickly via Los Andes.  However, this is Cuenca, Ecuador and the road was blocked off at the far end so we had to come all the way back and dipsy-doodle to come around the west end of the airport.
I am glad to be home to my comfortable bed.
I have simply batch-edited the photos because I am too tired to do much else right now.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Leaving Cali airport

We had to wait for an arriving flight

Colombia is very green

Big puffy white clouds make you sleepy

Coming in over the ocean into Esmereldas

This is the plane we came in on, and the one we would leave on

Soaking wet as we leave

Back above the white fluffy stuff

I am pretty sure that this is Chimborazo

Hard to shoot through a dirty porthole

I am surprised that I got a decent shot...

And another

OK, I got 3 decent ones

Coming down close to Quito airport

The Andes look pretty spectacular from the air - sideways, sorry

Drat, this one is sideways too...  My apologies

This is better

Earthquake country...

Cloud and smoke add to the mix

Lots of turbulence prior to landing

Quito airport

I was shocked that we had to bus it from the plane..

Lots of activity here

Gorgeous backdrops for this airport

A corner of the main terminal

Across the way a person can get reasonable food

Nice views from the airport

This gal was doing some kind of news report I think



Did I mention the nice food area....  This is only a small part

Another scenic view.