Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday July 14, 2015 HoG/Paute

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Tuesday July 14, 2015
Happy 70th Birthday Yvette (my lovely Sis).
It was bitter cold this morning so I checked the forecast and it said that it would be warmer today than yesterday so I was hopeful that the sun would come out, but I still walked to Spanish class and back.  We only have one last session on Thursday left.
The sun did indeed come out and the skies cleared to a beautiful blue (azul) so out came the scooter.
Last night I had received an email from Maria-Jose at Hearts Of Gold that my sponsorship of little Angel Alvarez was due for renewal and as I re-read the story this morning I decided to go with my heart and not my skimpy pocketbook.  I went to the bank, withdrew $1,000 and boogied down to the HoG office to see Johanna (who loved my scooter and helmet).   The full sponsorship is $70 a month, or $840, and this kid needs that money more than I do.  Angel has stunted growth and also has anger management issues because he is teased a lot, but he has shown marked improvement in the past year.  I left the extra $160 there for the family's needs and Johanna said that this money may go for Angel's medicine for his vertically challenged state.  
Johanna showed me a video that they have shot of the children and I got to see Angel so that really made me feel good about my decision.  Knowing that I am helping a really disadvantaged child get quality education, nutrition, medicine and counselling can't help but make a person feel like he is giving a little back to his adopted country.  There's a lot of things that piss me off here, but never the children...  I love these kids.   If you would like to sponsor a child, please let me or Johanna know.  There are different levels of sponsorship from $10 to $70 a month, and every little bit helps.   You can even put it on your credit card!
Then I met Ed and Lynne along the river to return the very good movie they had lent me called "Red Tails" about the Negro fighter squadrons in WW2.  I don't like hanging on to borrowed items any longer than I have to.  Thanks Ed.
I tried to stop by and see Segundo and his family but their place was locked tight, so I went to Big Kabuda's for my favourite Porky's burger.  Ummmmm good!
The weather was just too nice to waste like I did yesterday so I put on a long-sleeved sweater (so I don't burn my arms to a crisp) and headed west again.  I went through Ucubamba and again tried to go to "Table Mountain".  Strangely, the road was blocked, seemingly exactly the same as before (working by the hour obviously) but this time one guy pointed to a path on the other side of the creek so I gave it a shot.  However, try as I might, I could not locate the right road up there, kept hitting dead ends, so I gave up on it.
Back to the highway I continued west and decided to venture to Paute.  Traffic was not heavy and I didn't feel overly threatened at any time.  My biggest challenge was to pull over to the edge of the pavement to stop.  There is a drainage ditch all along the road so there is no place to put down your right foot!  It only took one near fall to convince me to do a little lean to the left whenever I tried that stunt.  The bike rest is to the left anyway, but it is just another sign of how aware a person has to be of their vulnerability at all times.
I went by the Josefina slide site that blocked the Paute river and caused huge problems 23 years ago.  http://www.cuencahighlife.com/twenty-first-anniversay-of-the-josefina-landslide-observed-in-paute-one-of-the-worst-disasters-in-ecuadors-history/
I actually never made it all the way to the center of Paute because a glance at the gas gauge told me that I had better turn around and head back.  I'm not too bright (no comments required... yes, I mean you, Ed) because I am certain there would have been a gas station inside Paute had I continued.  Oh well, I had a good ride and my hindsight is still 20-20.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 


This is the sheet on my little guy Angel.

The poor kid is 12 years old but looks about 7

Johanna looks cool in my helmet don't you think?

Washing clothes in the Yanuncay, across from the HoG office

Table Mountain was my original destination

The road construction is still there so I was directed to this path


In this view of Ucubamba I can see Oswaldo's and Mike+ Lotis' places

They are close to the water ponds

Several boats were pumping water, to where??

The Josefina slide site.  The mountains are mostly gravel, unstable.

A little further view of the slide site

Riding in the Andes with beautiful blue skies, what a thrill!

Getting closer to Paute

What beautiful surroundings!  

A church along the road, behind commercial buildings.

More mountains and sky to enjoy.

Tall little palms all in a row...

Sun, shadow, mountains, roads and sky.....

Gassing up the little beast.  I need a name for him...  Suggestions????