Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tuesday July 21, 2015 Colombia Day 5

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Tuesday July 21, 2015
Another warm day and Cristina and Cristiaan were off to work shortly after 7am and I was fending for myself.   It is a good thing that I had a long Blog to prepare from yesterday because I had not much else to, especially since I had no key to be able to wander outside.
They have very odd rules here because the two of them were back for breakfast at 8am for 1/2 hour then went back to work.  Then Cristina was back after noon for lunch and a shower because she had an appointment at the hospital at 1:30.  Cristiaan was home as well, went back to work, and was done work early around 4pm.
Cristina and I went to the hospital and I waited around for her to get her prescriptions filled to combat the debilitating Chikungunya Virus.  All they can do is to battle the pain symptoms because there is no cure or magic serum.  Many people have it here and I am so afraid of contracting it myself.  It is spread by a specific female mosquito that bites during the day so I have been often wearing long pants and long sleeves.  I noticed a sign in the hospital that they don't allow shorts or short pants on patrons which is pretty strange in such a hot country... especially when they allow skirts or dresses...
I took a photo of a sign that was offering cheap eye exams to change their prescriptions for glasses.  It says 3,000 pesos which is the current equivalent of $1.09 USD.
We had a nice fruit cocktail from a street vendor that Cristina knows and then the church doors opened so we went inside.  Joining us inside were two of these orange-headed yellow birds who kept hopping around us in the pews (a word coined by the first man to fart noiselessly in church).
Once we were done that we went grocery shopping at a few stores and bought 3 bags of groceries that cost about 53,000 pesos, which always seems like a lot coming out of the wallet, but it is only $19.14.
I also remembered to get a key cut so that I will have some freedom to roam when they are working during the week
It is raining again this late afternoon and I may be the only person happy about it....

I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Eye exams 3,000 pesos = $1.09 USD

Apparently hospital visits and prescriptions are mostly free

The local church is quite striking

Looks can be deceiving

The exterior belies a very spartan interior

One of the new parishioners

The interior is the most basic I have seen

They had this lovely huge bouquet though

This was the nicest wall adornment 

Our little friends hung around to pray

Finally they took flight out the doors.