Saturday, April 22, 2023

Saturday April 22, 2023 Downtown

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday April 22, 2023

Thursday I though that I would test the "new" Golden scooter once I had it fully charged, and head to return some items at Canadian Tire, and pick up more ordered items.  I thought that the store was now in the old Kingsway Mall, maybe taking over the Sears location, but I was way off-base...  The store was 5 long blocks further, across from the Edmonton Inn.  Somehow I knew that,... but it didn't come forth in the brain department.  

It was quick to do the return and pick-up, but then the fun began.  The Golden has lights on the dash that indicate power going from red to orange to green.  I had green all the way there.... but not on the way back...  So it died, and did not want to be pushed quickly or the brakes activated..  I was 11 blocks from home and tried calling Edmonton Police for ideas or help and could not get through to any numbers shown on the net... WTF!  So I called Ash and he was so very kind to come and rescue me.  I got my shopping home and now know that the range is about 30 blocks, not much more...

Friday, I did more online shopping at Amazon and some things even arrived, same day!  Oh, I am really partial to Amazon, and even applied for Amazon Prime to save on all the shipping.

Remember that I complained to WalMart Wednesday?  Well, I see a full refund on my order was applied to my account!  Then I noticed the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!  So they are somewhat in my  good books again.

Today, I got more deliveries and my new place is starting to feel like home with the right "tools" in place.  There are only 3 items left to arrive, and it appears that 2 are coming from China...  I guess that I should not be surprised...

I had my first guest for lunch today as my niece Dawn came to see the new place and chat.  I cooked with the new pots and pans and am completely impressed!

I decided to chance the Golden scooter again today as I wanted to return my last 2 books to the library.  I figured it was a total of 28 blocks and I also  only ran at 1/2 speed..  and it worked!  Golden is back charging in the garage.  I even brought the Nikon along...

I re-familiarized myself somewhat with the downtown, which I left 23 years ago, finding many familiar buildings where we worked or frequented.  Many others have been replaced with new buildings.  It was a nice outing as I zig-zagged a bit to see more.  Finding places to eat was high on my list although I am too lazy to venture out most days.  I had to laugh that an old strip club is still on 105th Street, Chez Pierre...  I had to look online to find that it is now run by Pierre Cochard's grandson.

Close to home, I came upon a Canada goose at the corner who was not afraid of pedestrians and posed for photos.  Gotta love affable Canadians!

I also checked the lunch menu downstairs and it might be a good idea to avail myself of this sweet amenity....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Dawn came to visit

Looking at my apartment from the parking lot

The back of our building

The nice place next door

Then it is St Joachim church

Jasper Avenue... downtown...

The Hotel MacDonald was my first stop in 1968

Silly Hall

The Library

Moving video of dinosaurs inside

Edmonton's tallest..

Love the shape of ManuLife

Chez Pierre is still around, lol.

Canada's greatest export

Not scared

Handsome, or is it pretty?

Anyway, nice bird...

Gotta try these lunches some day.