Sunday, March 20, 2016

Saturday-Sunday March 19-20 , 2016 Roldanillo



Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Saturday-Sunday March 19-20 , 2016
Saturday morning I went on a short walk with Miguel and the youngest dog, Phoebe to purchase a few items.  On the way, Miguel spotted a Colombian owl perched high in a tree, presumably asleep.  This was not much like our large owls in Canada, this one had a really slim build.  Miguel showed me this species online and, sure enough, that is the way they are built...
The women were gone almost all day, Cristina trying to solve a problem with getting the money that we sent down here via Western Union.  Adiela is a volunteer with a local animal shelter, a real animal lover like Cristina.  I contented myself with shots of plants in the house and the visiting goldfinches.  Later I went by taxi with Cristina and Christian to a nearby huge shopping center dominated by a huge store like a Wal-Mart.  I looked for a few specific items, like a popcorn popper, but they did not have the styles that I was looking for.  Since they have a trade agreement with the USA I thought that I would be able to find most items, so this was a little disappointing.
The SIM card that I bought last year for my cel phone actually still works so I just had to add some time to my phone and I now have something in case of emergencies.   In case of emergency, I think that I can be reached from outside the country by calling 0057-322-498-9814.
The town has a church that is at least 300 years old and still looks darn good.  The people are friendly and there seem to be 10 bikes, scooters and motorcycles for every car.  
The doctor was proud to show us his 52 GMC truck and 54 Chevy car.  They both seemed to be in very restorable condition.   He also had a Kia Quoris, their largest model with a honking 3.8 litre motor.  He bought it for $28,000 with 10,000 klicks, not bad!!  The dealer gave him a special deal. I was impressed to find a car here with the same size motor as my Park Avenues...
One of the scary things here are huge semi-trailer trains with FIVE trailers!!!  They have huge signs on the back saying that they are dangerously long, but latin drivers are impatient, and they will put your life in danger to save themselves 2 seconds...   maybe that is who the buzzards are following...  knowing that it is just a matter of time....
Sunday we left pretty early to go to Cristina's home town of Roldanillo for a doctor's appointment (yes, on a Sunday!).    
Roldanillo is in a more dry area, not as green as the rest of the country that I have seen so far.  Roldanillo is also home to the world Paragliding Championships every two years.  It apparently has one of the best launching sites in the world.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

This is one very skinny owl

Possibly a Colombian Screech Owl ??

A nice street view in Tulua yesterday

Pretty plant at Miguel & Adiela's

Dry ornamental, but gorgeous

Goldfinches visit regularly for a feed of corn

Big modern shopping centers might surprise some people

4 of the 5 dogs in this house, 3 are very tiny

Beautiful highways in this province

Buzzards waiting for me to arrive

The sign says "Danger, very long vehicle"

A view of the dry hills around Roldanillo

Doctor's office open on a Sunday

300+ year-old church

Church and crosses on the nearby mountaintop

Hang-gliders think this is a great place

I'd love to try this....

Love this old church

52 GMC truck looks good

54 Chevy looks even better,.. looks like it only needs a polish...

A Sunday futbol game in progress

The upper buzzard seems to have caught another bird??

A very common sight here

I think this is a Ruffled Fan Palm Tree leaf