Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday March 18, 2016 To Colombia



Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Friday March 18, 2016
Belated Happy St Patrick's Day.
A lot of preparations were required to get away this morning.  Cristina went by bus on Wednesday to save us 100's of dollars on airfare.  We used that money to enroll the dogs in Obedience Scool yesterday for the 2 weeks that I am gone.  We are not quite certain when Cristina is able to return, it depends on a few factors we don't control yet.
Not much sleep last night in anticipation of the alarm not working.  Finally got up at 4am and did a lot of computer work, including the uploading of my photos for sale.
I worked hard yesterday trying to purchase 3 similar gift items on eBay for Cristina, her sister and mother, without success.  This seller indicates that he ships to Colombia but the shipping charges just won't show up, and writing to the seller for a straight eBay invoice (as suggested by PayPal) has resluted in a negative response.  I guess that he doesn't want to sell these so much.....
I arrived to the airport in Cuenca before 6:30 and was again met by a phalanx of police which made me wonder if I had stumbled on the arrival of the President again...  No line-up at the LAN counter and I was the first person in the departure lounge.  Then a phalanx of army troops walked by the windos, then a troop carrier landed, then a second troop carrier came down.  A blacked out SUV then drove by the window with security men running alongside, one with an attache case (like the US President's "football"??).  I asked one of the maintenance people next to me if that was President Correa again, and they said yes...  For a person who doesn't live in Quito, I have been close to the President at least 7 times, 4 by accident...
A dull and rainy morning did not make me feel bad for leaving Cuenca.  I caught sight of a magnificent peak poking through the clouds.  I have no idea which...
We encountered a carpet of cloud for the whole trip until we neared Cali.    Our stop in Esmereldas on the coast was hot and humid.  The buzzards were all around the runway, waiting for plane crashes???  The water around the beaches at Esmereldas is all brown, with an edge like soap.  I do hope that is just sand churned up by the waves.
Very high cumulous clouds were forming a ways south of Cali, so I assume someone is getting a thunderstorm later.
We got to Cali early and I was in a front row so I got to scoot into customs and immigration quickly.  I only had 2 carry-ons so I didn't have to wait for luggage.  I was all prepared to argue with the immigration guy who was going to charge me 171,000 pesos to enter the country solely because I am a Canadian.  I am told this is a reciprocal levy against a similar one the Canadian government charges to Colombians.  I had a copy of my marriage certificate and Cristina's Colombian cedula at the ready...  No soap...  If I didn't have a Colombian visa or an Ecuadorian Passport I was paying...  Thanks to a great improvement in the Canadian dollar I paid the $74 Canadian (It was $80 last July).
I was out of there at the anticipated arrival time of 1pm and I didn't see Miguel, the brother-in-law married to sister Adiela, so I sneaked up the escalator for a quick pit stop.  As soon as I walked out I heard my name being called and there were Miguel and Cristina coming up the escalator.  Great timing!   One hour later and we were at their home in Tulua where it is very warm...  I can't wait for a trip up into the mountains to Pereira, and maybe Santa Rosa and Medellin.   There are lots of other family things going on so I cannot dictate the pace, just sit and wait.
I brought a gift for Miguel, the toque with the dreadlocks attached, but he handed it to Adiela instead, and she was thrilled.  
Crietina's Mom, Julia, looks really good, as does her son, Christian.  Let's hope the 2 weeks here is fruitful.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

So lonely at the Cuenca airport....  boo hoo....

A foggy, dreary, drizzly morning in Cuenca

The army boys and the first troop transport

The camouflage transport comes in with President Correa aboard

Could this be Chimborazo???

I'm shooting from the middle seat, so not great shots

The window is dirty too

Caught it late with a little sunshine

A carpet of clouds for the whole trip

Buzzards at the Esmereldas airport

Hope they are not expecting plane crashes

Esmereldas is hot and humid

Look at the brown water around the beaches.  Hope it is just sand.

Popcorn clouds above sugar cane fields as we near Cali

Huge thunderheads being formed soth of Cali

Adiela loves her new dreads