Saturday, July 22, 2023

Friday July 21, 2023 FAFA Walk

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Friday July 21, 2023

Today, Klondike Days starts, but I have yet to be anywhere near the action.

The day started with another instalment of my FAFA gig photography, this time of a supposed first aid course which I thought would be useful, learning to bandage, etc.   NOT!!!  This was simply a Powerpoint presentation, on strokes, sunburns, hypothermia, diabetes attacks, etc....  It was interesting, but not what I expected....

For lunch I checked out one restaurant but it was too expensive, so I went to the corner pub and ordered a "Donair Poutine" which I unreasonably expected to come like a donair in a pita wrap, but no, it came as a donair.  My previous taste of a poutine was not a pleasurable experience but the Lord hates a coward, Right??  So I tried it and it was absolutely delicious!  I must go there again!

Then we were meeting in the College St Jean parking lot to wait for a bus, which was late, as always....  Then we had to wait for Ghyslaine who was still finishing up at lunch back at our Manoir St Joachim.  We got away about 1/2 hour late.

We finally got underway to "Bunchberry Meadows" for a 5 km nature walk.  While the exercise was good for me, the sun, heat and bugs were not...  There was so little to see, and the group was picking raspberries along the way.  I just rushed back for a needed bathroom break, the others returned, and we actually got back at the expected time.

The evening saw my cousin Jeanne come to get me and we drove to Whyte Avenue to people-watch.  I dragged her to the outdoor patio of the Commercial Hotel, known as "Blues On Whyte".  We had a ball there, chatting with folks from Newmarket, Ontario and watching the band.  When the band came back for the second set, they had this lady singer who began with Deep Purple's "River Deep, Mountain High", definitely one of my favourites!  And she just NAILED IT!  I was so enraptured with her pouring out the powerful tune that I only thought at the last 28 seconds to record it...  I had a terrible time trying to send it to myself from my phone but finally figured the way to send it directly to my YouTube channel...  Enjoy....      https://youtu.be/rTq0LroWyI0

Then we started to go for an ice cream across the road, but as we had passed the renovated Strathcona Hotel, something had caught my eye giving me a craving for nachos instead.  Jeanne was game for that, so we came back to the Strathcona's sidewalk cafe and I called over a waitress and asked "Do you have nachos?"  She gave me an annoyed look and said basically "No" and something unintelligible..  I thought that was odd, and got to the corner of the cafe where a fellow had a menu and he let me look at it.  Hmmm, the menu showed nachos!!..  so the waitress was nearby, and I yelled, "You lied to me, you do have nachos!"  Again, the look on her face was a shock, then she laughed and came over to explain that before, she thought I had rudely asked "Do you have naturals?"...  Oh boy, did we all laugh over that for the rest of the night!  So, needless to say, we stayed and had delicious nachos with beef and guacamole, laughing with the neighboring table from Winnipeg....  So, it was a great evening!

Busy day upcoming tomorrow too....

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


All in French....














Yummy Donair Poutine!

Bus was late...

Off we go to trek Bunchberry Meadows

There were many butterflies

Picking raspberries

Flowers and big mushrooms

Deadfalls

A small group

even though many had signed up.

Lightning strike?

Raspberries

Butterfly

and another

Boardwalk near the end

Welcome sight of the bus and bathrooms

With Jeanne, enjoying Blues On Whyte

A still of that great singer.

Delicious nachos satisfied my craving