Monday, June 19, 2023

Saturday June 17, 2023 Celebration Of Life

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/

******

Saturday June 17, 2023

We had come to Fernie, BC to celebrate the life of brother Laurent and his wife, Cathy who had passed away 13 months apart.  Also celebrated was the life of son Douglas who had also passed away in the same period.  Daughter Roxanne is the sole surviving member of the family and she did an amazing job to put together this celebration.





Everyone gathered at the Holy Family church from both the Topp family and the Bourassa family, joined by some lifelong friends.  I honestly thought that I had got photos of almost everyone, but sadly somehow missed old friends from Radville, Bill Ayotte and Ernie Martin.  At least we got to have nice chats with everyone present during the day.

The celebration was presided over by a temporary replacement priest, Father Marian, and he did an amazing job under the circumstances.  I did want to talk with him later but he did not come to the lunch after..

A mild sprinkle did not hamper the small graveside service where the urns are placed.  A lovely spot with a mountain view is hard to beat...

From there, Bill Ayotte, aided by one of the Fernie friends helped us locate Laurent and Cathy's old home which was a scant 2 blocks from the hotel!  The new owners have really changed the place, removing a carport and adding additions and decks, and a matching garage.  I would never have found it on my own.

Back at the hall next to the church, the CWL ladies provided an amazing spread of buns, meats, cheeses, veggies and desserts,.. and nobody was left wanting for food or drink.

Personally, I had not seen many of the Topp family (Cathy's side) since I roomed next door back in 1967...   Since then, I had seen sister Marie once or twice and actually had brother Wayne room with me in an apartment a few blocks south of my present location back in 1970...  Sadly Wayne was not present at this celebration as I would have liked to see him again.

Present for the Topps were the families of Marie, Theresa, David and Peter.  I sincerely apologize that my memory fails me to remember the names of spouses and children.

Leonie and I represented the immediate Bourassa family, ably aided by my daughter and her husband.

It was wonderful to see so many of the grandkids and great-grandchildren present as well.  Again, don't ask me names....

The hours went quickly as we reminisced about old times with so many people, surprised to find that they live so close in many instances.

RIP Laurent, Cathy and Dougie.

Leonie and I returned to Longview after the event and had a gorgeous drive home.  I will post those photos on tomorrow's Blog.

I hope you enjoy the pictures (Some removed).  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Holy Family Church, Fernie

Some of the Topp family

Roxanne did a great job

Melissa with 2 kids, Bill Ayotte behind.

Caleb?, Lauren, Joanne and Justin

Great spot for eternal rest....

Arranging for the gravesite service

This is the spot.

Laurent's old house is really changed

The new owners have done a good job

Peter, David, Marie and Theresa Topp

Add Auntie Cathy

Add spouses

Add children

Well represented!