Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sunday May 1, 2016 Gualaceo


Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.
THANK YOU to all the GringoPost readers who voted for me 3 years in a row as Best Photographer in Cuenca!
****
Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
*****
Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right, although I hear there are problems receiving the emails lately.  Therefore I sincerely appreciate the regular followers that I do have!
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday May 1, 2016
I heard a report that a 70-year-old single Gringa lady named Alice, apparently a resident of Cuenca for 6 years, died in the restroom of a local restaurant yesterday.  I have seen nothing posted on Facebook.  Did anybody else hear anything?
When the sun shines like this it is Toxic weather.  My friend Monica from La Vina has opened her own little cafe in Gualaceo called El Olivo, just a block down from the church at 6-80 9 de Octubre.  I rode out alone and enjoyed the glorious sun and scenery on the way.   It is always sobering to pass the Josefina rockslide that blocked the Paute River March 29, 1993, causing a flood that destroyed 1,000 homes and killed over 100 people.  See https://www.cuencahighlife.com/twenty-first-anniversay-of-the-josefina-landslide-observed-in-paute-one-of-the-worst-disasters-in-ecuadors-history/ .
Monica works at the cafe herself on Sundays and is putting finishing touches on the operation. It is a tiny place, with maybe seating for 15 at the moment, and she is doing her best to provide a tasty, quality menu for a country price.  I had the Tablas Antipasto dish and it was really good.
Gualaceo is always such a pleasant place to visit, with its picturesque yellow church which was packed to capacity on this Sunday, the gorgeous park in front of it, and also the lovely parkland near the river.
I was disappointed that there were no vendors to speak of in the big square to the side of the church.  I did decide to get my boots shined though.  I took pity on this old fellow who must have been 85 and probably had trouble seeing the boots.  I paid him double what he asked for..
The ride back was even more pleasant as the afternoon sun was stronger and, with my innate sense of timing, I made it back just before a small squall from the south wet down the neighbourhood.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Do you know the way to....

Just follow the signs and you can't go wrong

This is the Josefina rockslide site, Mountains here are mostly gravel.

Beautiful vistas along the way. 

Lovely church

And the park across, as seen from close to El Oliva

This is the place, 6-80 on 9 de Octubre, just down from the church

Love these high trees in the main park

The statue of the knight is a different touch

Church was jammed for Sunday mass

A side view of the big church from the vendors square

I love shots like this...

Another shot of the church facing the park

Standing room only today

Lovely park, great sunny day

Park and church

That tree will reach the clouds

Getting my boots shined

Monica behind her counter

My tasty Tablas Antipasto dish

The Paute River joins up with the Amazon downstream