Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday May 29, 2016 Biblian/Azogues



THANK YOU to all the GringoPost readers who voted for me 3 years in a row as Best Photographer in Cuenca!
****
Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
****
Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right.
****
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.
****
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday May 29, 2016
First things first-----  Happy 100th Birthday Mom !!  Even though you passed away this last Feb. 9th, we are thinking of you on this big day.  
Because of you we were feeling quite generous to the less fortunate today on our journeys.

The Herederos del Pasado have had a ride to Biblian scheduled for weeks now and I thought that I was going to be joined by 2 other Americans but they wimped out because it had rained up to an hour before.  The group was to meet before 9am at a gas station in the west end and I had told them that I would join up with them at Challuabamba.  Because of the rain I wasn't sure if they would continue with the ride so I rushed out, gassed up, and waited for them on the Autopista instead.  I finally called one of the fellows after 9:30 and, after a lot of confusion, realized at 10am that they had somehow taken a different route and were now at Challuabamba.  So off I rushed to meet them there.  We were 10 bikes and 12 people on this ride.
It wasn't the greatest of mornings but it kept improving slowly, and no more rain...  Biblian has this amazing muti-storied structure and church built into a mountainside.  I had been here several times before so I did the steep climb behind the church to get some shots from over the spire.  I was coming down when most of the group was going up.  I went over to Toxic and rolled it down to the base of the church where there were some food tents.  A little old indigenous lady followed me and was chattering away to me, probably in the Kichwa language.  Anyway, I gave her most of my fries, then bought her an empanada, and then gave her some money.  She posed for me, and when the group came down, she posed for them too.  Most of the group also had a snack too before we started heading back to Azogues.
Azogues is another town with a very dominant church up high on a mountainside and I was initially diasappointed when we were riding right by, but there was a reason... lunch....  We stopped at a place with the roast pig and we all had a plate of chancho, which comprises of pork, pork rind, nuts, and tasteless white corn.  I passed on the white corn.  The 3 visiting riders from Medellin were with our group (heading to Loja tomorrow) so I bought their lunch today.
Then I was happy when we backtracked and went to the big church.  Some old folks begging on the church steps relieved us of some cash as well.
I apologize if I am rambling or incoherent in this missive, but I am operating on only one cylinder from lack of sleep and all this computer work.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.
x

An iffy morning but obviously clearing..

Meeting the gang at Challuabamba

Pulling up to the side of the Biblian church

Trying to find space to park the bikes

The view from up here is breathtaking

This chapel is two levels below the blue cone steeple

It is a two-storey chapel!

Altar, baptistry, and statuary

Beginning the climb behind the steeple

Lovely view from the top level

Up and up we go

Higher

Still higher

They are coming up, I am going down

Most of the parked vehicles are gone

This little granny followed me down on foot

Yes, a multi-storey religious complex

Sign shows the lovely night lighting

Another angle, I see an open door

The door is to a mausoleum

The group is making their way back down

I just love this green view over Biblian town

Granny posing for me

A view with the bike lineup

Toxic can keep up with the Joneses

The gang having some snack food

Gotta see this enlarged - Great reflection!

This one too!

A look back as we ride away

A small park in Biblian

Riding into Azogues

Stopping for chancho

One of the Medellin fellows filming the roasted pig

He commented on how contented the pig looked

Taking over most of the parking lot

My chancho meal without the bland "mote" corn

Didn't expect to see this near the Azogues church!!!

A view from the steps

It is not a bad climb

This impressive structure can be seen for miles

It has a gorgeous interior and altar

The gilded altar is eye-catching

A good view back to Cojitambo

This poor lady got some coin

The group in Azogues

Father & son, I liked the shot...

Interesting artwork for sale, including the Mona Lisa!

Wanting to join Bob marley for a toke...