Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday April 17, 2016 Cajas



Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday April 17, 2016
Jeff VP and I had planned a ride into the Cajas to Tres Cruces (Three Crosses) for a week already so, even though the weather was less than ideal, off we went.  The Lord hates a coward...
We met outside of Jeff's 13th floor condo in the Palermo (Cuenca's tallest structure) and he related that they indeed had felt a big sway during last night's earthquake.  Today we heard that about 238 are dead and 1557 injured so far in the devastated areas on the coast.  After all the things that I have heard in the past 2 days (the "Big One" is near!) I would be fleeing from any Pacific coastline with due haste.....
I was mightily impressed that Hearts Of Gold Foundation was the first out of the gate to set up a relief effort for the victims of the quake.  If you could donate a little something, please go to http://heartsofgoldfoundation.org/earthquake-relief-fund/
When I left home in the east end I was wearing my fleece-lined impermeable rain jacket, and I was worrying that I might be too warm....  How wrong I was...
Jeff and I negotiated the closed off construction zones along the west end of Ordonez Lasso to finally hit the pavement heading to Guayaquil.  It was sprinkling, so we did not hesitate to put on our rain gear right away, and that turned out to be a very wise decision, because nothing got any better as we went along.  I was also fortunate to have worn my helmet that I reserve for possible rainy situations, with a half-visor.  The oilskin slicker that I bought in Calgary in 1992 is terrific for this weather, so it went over the rain jacket.  
We were not sure what we could expect, but we were mentally prepared to encounter landslides or more in the wake of all the recent rains and the earthquake shaking up the area.  When we did not encounter any traffic coming from the other direction for about 2 miles our concern was growing, but eventually we happened upon some traffic, although the highway was definitely not busy at all.
But riding a scooter on a wet highway is not a great idea at the best of times so, around kilometre 18, we wisely turned back.  This really wasn't picture-taking weather... and although I love dramatic skies, getting the camera all wet was not in my plans.
We avoided the muddy construction area on the return trip.  It was dry back in Cuenca so we had a lovely lunch of corvina (sea bass) in the west end before we parted ways. 
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.
x
Our plan was to head into this mountain range to the summit

The ominous clouds were not dissipating

The creeks/rivers were running full

Down the slope the water goes...

I don't know what that blip of light is on the left..??

Getting soaked around here, decided to turn back