Monday, April 25, 2016

Sunday April 24, 2016 Volunteering



Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday April 24, 2016
I will apologize right away for the quality of these photos taken with the small Samsung in JPG format.   A person has so lettle to work with as opposed to shooting RAW format with the big camera.
Much of my day is still taken up with walking Mariposa and Turi 5-7 times a day and I should learn to bring the small camera with me every time because there is usually some interesting sight on the way.  It is always scary when I release the leashes so they can frolick a bit because occasionally they scream off at the sight of another dog, sometimes blindly running into the street.  Today, on two occasions, a very large dog took umbrage at their sudden appearance and Turi and Mariposa paid the price.  Maybe they will think twice from now on.
Toxic and I headed to Turi to volunteer for Hearts Of Gold at the Mikhuna Food Bank this morning.  I wandered around at first trying to see if anyone would flag me in to do something but mostly there were Ecuadorians sitting around on a break.  The only evident work going on was in the Donations room and at the "garage" near the front entrance where they were busy packing up bags of toilet paper and baby sundries.  
I asked if I could help, and one lovely girl responded in English to start by bringing bunches of toilet paper from the Donations room.  Then was to help with filling the bags.  The hardest part of the whole operation was opening the darn bags.  
Even though almost all of the toilet paper was pre-packaged, they wanted eveything put in these black garbage bags, taped and labeled to various towns affected by the Apr 16 earthquake.  This way most of the packages were of uniform shape and size for easy stacking.  Even though I had the foresight to wear my back brace I was very thankful when we were done this task.  All that bending takes its toll on this old body.  Helping out, even just a little bit, helps relieve the pressure on a lot of these other volunteers and it does the heart good to constribute a little to help these hard-working people.
I read a report on Facebook that is very disheartening about the future of the coast in the aftermath of the quake.  Fish have left the area, tourism will be nil, countless jobs are lost, real estate is dead, housing is in short supply,.... and on and on.  And, if the experts are right, the worst could be yet to come if "The Big One" hits soon.  You never could pay me to live anywhere on the Pacific coast.   I have never trusted Mother Nature there.
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.
x
This is that bench chain-sawed out of that fallen tree, very inventive!

Turi and Mariposa ready to frolick

Mariposa has learned to grab Turi's leash and control her

Play-fighting is a big part of their play time

The donations room is the hub for sending stuff for packaging

This area had many jugs of water to send to the coast

The lovely view of Cuenca from up there

Packaging up stuff to go west

This lovely gal spoke good English

Great group of hard-working volunteers

Lots of packages ready to go