Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Wednesday June 4, 2014 Gualaceo

MY NEW PORTRAIT STUDIO IS NOW OPEN !!!!  Book your session now.
See details and more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com/.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.


Wednesday June 4, 2014
Another gorgeous day so again I forced myself outside to the Terminal Terrestre (Bus Station) and checked out a few fares before deciding to go to Gualaceo for the day.  Gualaceo is less than an hour away and it costs 70c to take the bus, so why not?  Once the bus was departing I spotted another bus heading to SigSig, where I have yet to travel so I was already kicking myself for choosing a town where I have already visited.
I was kinda hoping that Wednesday would be a market day like it is in Cuenca but I was wrong about that too, so I actually didn't stay that long.
There were a couple of indigenous Panama Hat weavers around the main square and one of them allowed me to take her photo so that made my day.  They are amazing to watch as they flip the straw this way and that, seemingly effortlessly but with great skill.
I actually waited 20 minutes for a SigSig bus to come by but then I decided that is a trip best left for another day and just came home.   The trip travels by the infamous Paute/Josephina slide which caused so much havoc 21 years ago.   Most of the mountains here are soft gravel, not rock, so landslides are a common enough occurrence.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Leaving the Cuenca bus terminal

Gualaceo's main church has a school attached behind it.

This is part of a mural on the back of the school building

And this is another part of that same beautiful mural.

The church has some impressive towers

There didn't seem to be a normal altar

This is a side altar on the right

And this was a side altar on the left

This combination was striking

Huge tall trees dominate the park facing the church

The trees and the church are impressive

The church has a mounted knight on its balcony

She agreed to let me take a photo

BW version digitally hand-painted

A second shot shows the emerging hat

Again digitally hand-painted for effect

This is the bus terminal in central Gualaceo

This landslide caused much property damage and lots of deaths