Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday June 15, 2014 World Cup

MY NEW PORTRAIT STUDIO IS NOW OPEN !!!!  Book your session now.
See details and more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com/.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.


Sunday June 15, 2014
Happy Father's day to all the Dads out there.
Today was Ecuador's first game of the World Cup against Switzerland (who had not given up a goal in their last 7 International matches).  I didn't know of anyone else interested in watching the game and I didn't want to sit home and watch by myself so I had made a reservation for Brunch downtown.
Los Paroles Restaurant in the Hotel Presidente on Gran Colombia was having a special to accompany the game, even 3 for 1 Pilsener beer, but I didn't see anyone take advantage of that.  Of course I was there when they opened, dressed in my Ecuador team outfit and I was afraid that I was going to be the only one there...
The restaurant is in one of the tallest downtown buildings at 9 stories and I took a couple of shots out the window before they offered me to go to the roof for better views.  I even went higher up a spiral staircase, next to their antennae to get a better view yet!
When I came back down I was very jealous of a fellow named Pepe.  All along the wall were pictures of great movie stars, all personally autographed to Pepe!  
The game started right at 11:00am and it still looked like I was about to be the only person there but gradually people started to trickle in, typically late Ecuadorians, and then finally a few straggler Gringos.
Everyone was in a good mood when Ecuador scored first on a header off a free kick.  We were still ahead at half-time.  I was glad that it was a relatively clean and gentlemanly game, very much in contrast to some of the earlier games I had seen which were brutal and dirty.
During half-time some folks I knew from Joe's came in, so I asked Gary and Jill to join me, so at least I had some pleasant company for the rest of the match.   The Eggs Benedict were pretty decent...
The second half saw the game tied up relatively early, then the 90 minutes were over and we were 2 minutes into the extra 3 minutes of injury time, when Ecuador just missed a glorious opportunity to put the game away.   I think they hit 3 crossbars in that second half.  Then Switzerland caught Ecuador laying back after their near miss and roared down the field and scored a good goal.  Less than one minute from overtime and Ecuador blew the game!  What a letdown!   I am sure the team got an earful from the coach on that score because teams can't afford losses in their groupings.  They only play 3 initial games and then only half of the teams advance... so we are behind the eight-ball and can't afford any more complacency.   Ecuador plays again on Friday the 20th, then Wednesday the 25th.
I have watched all the games I can so far, 3 today, and some of the teams like Argentina, Holland and France look particularly strong..   Pick it up Ecuador!
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al


All dressed to support the team

Some lovely art for sale on the street downtown

This is the Hotel Presidente

This is the northwest view from the 9th floor

This is the view to the northeast

This is a tighter view directly north

This is a tighter view west up towards Santo Domingo

This is from the tiny spiral staircase to the antennae on the roof

Nice angle on Immaculate Conception Cathedral

Too bad it was such a blustery day, but I don't mind dramatic skies

Straight north to the Catholic University

This is 'my' church, San Alfonso

Who are these people, and why do they like Pepe so much?

Brigitte and Marilyn too!

Elvis and the whole Rat Pack

OMG, Sofia and Liz...

Lucy, and Paul

Rock, and Audrey

Gotta love Marlon's inscription!

Now some television captures.  This is the stadium.

The teams lined up for the anthems

Team Ecuador stoic during the anthem

I was wearing the #16 shirt, one of the starters

The free kick is taken by Ecuador

Our #13 goes high to head the ball toward the net

The ball seems to have a clear path

Their goalie lunges far to his left, much too late

#13 Valencia celebrates his goal

However the game ends up 2-1 for Switzerland

City Hall, on my way home....