Monday, November 6, 2023

Sunday November 5, 2023 Darkness

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or

al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Sunday November 5, 2023

 My Ancestry quest continued Friday with the addition of the family connections to Adrienne Barbeau (starred on "Maude") and Jack Kerouac (writer).  I gave up trying to find connections to another relative...  Now I had 4,122 people on our tree!

In the evening a surprise knock at my door revealed my friend Brenda with an offering of my favourite lemon meringue pie!  People are feeding me stuff virtually every day now, led by Bob and Don...  I reciprocate where I can.

Saturday, I arose late and gave myself a needed haircut.  Letting my sparse hair grow for winter is a good thing for extra warmth, to a point,,,, but it also means instant hat hair whenever I go out....  It is what it is, folks...

My latest, and last for a while, Ancestry quest resumed and I finally found our family connection to Prince Charles of Luxembourg after a lot of digging.  Upcoming mandatory two-step verification BS will significantly curtail my use of it if I have to bother my dear sister-in-law every time....  Now we have 4,249 relatives on the family tree with so many more possibilities......

Bob cooked a delicious beef supper for myself and Don out of boredom and we wolfed it down greedily!  It was such a nostalgic reminder of the wonderful home-cooked meals from our youth.  We ate a lot of beef growing up.

Sunday morning I awoke at 3am and immediately set about to change the clocks to reflect the loss of Daylight Saving Time and the loss of an hour at the end of the day.  This takes some getting used to, as the morning light came around 7:45am and the sunset came way too soon at 4:56pm!

Don came over to watch Formula One racing at 10am.  He has no TV hooked up, so I invite him whenever something exciting is on.  He enjoys most sports, like me, including UFC, curling, football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. 

Afternoon naps are a must now, regardless of the amount of sleep overnight.

Bob and I were traveling to Whyte Avenue as darkness and fog descended already, and caught 3 sets of music at Blues On Whyte by our buddy Leo Martinez.  A musical guest sang for the middle set, and he was like a coffee house singer, singing his own, or obscure, songs that bored the crowd to tears.  Once Leo returned with familiar classics, the crowd retuned to life and the dance floor re-filled again.  Musicians must consciously cater to the crowd or interest wanes quickly.....

We returned to my suite and we ordered an extra-large meat-lovers-plus pizza from Grandma Pizza and it again did not disappoint.  Mega amounts of meat delighted our palates, reminiscent of the great pizza we enjoyed for years at Hawaiian Pizza in Calgary.  And the pizza joint is just around the corner, so it is delivered to us in 20 minutes flat! 

We watched some hockey for a bit and I showed him some of my downloaded new Perry Mason series, Season 2, which I finished alone.  I was not yet quite tired enough so I switched to my downloaded movies and started Cast A Giant Shadow, one of my favourites, intending to maybe watch half, but ended up watching the whole movie, getting to bed at 1:36am Monday morning...  Hey, we are retired and can nap almost any time we want, so the odd late night is not  harmful.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.


Gee!  Sun is already setting!

Unusual amount of late day fog!

It is almost dark at 5pm!

Dark enough for lights everywhere as we arrived.

Leo Martinez, one-man band

Special boring guest

Leo came back to the delight of everyone

The dance floor filled again

Very foggy over downtown as we returned.