Friday, October 20, 2023

Thursday October 19, 2023 Magpie/Gordie

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or

al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Thursday October 19, 2023

 It was a pretty busy day for mid-October and the temperature was 22C or more.

The internet and wi-fi was really sporadic all morning so I complained to the manager, Roch, with speedtests to prove my dilemma.  He had a Telus rep call me from Quebec and we worked on it together.  In the end, he set me up with my own code and password, and had me connected solely to the router outside my door.  The speeds increased significantly.  I now have 3 different ways to connect.

Then I got a call from a CIBC manager to discuss my complaint about adding signatories to an existing joint account.  It did not take long for him to keep repeating the same CIBC rules to me so I politely cut the call short.  At least my complaint is on their records.

It was too nice a day to stay inside, so I headed toward Dollarama for a few items I wanted.  I stopped at Vinnie's Treasure Shoppe to check out their offerings, even though I have no room for anything more.  They had a large signed, framed poster of Grant Fuhr, the Oiler goalie that also coached my grandson which was tempting, but was way too big to go anywhere nice in my little apartment....  But then I spotted a smaller Gordie Howe, Mr. Hockey, in the famous Detroit Red Wing uniform, signed and framed print, ...unpriced....  I asked Brenda, the Manager, to check out the price, and that I would stop in again on my way back.

At Dollarama I picked up a few things like a collapsible pail, wash cloths (to wash the Gio), and a serving tray for my many dinner parties, lol.  I also bought some rubber-tipped styluses for texting on my phone.  My fat fingers are such a frustration for those small letters...

I returned to Vinnie's to see that she had a $100 tag on the Gordie Howe signed print, so Mr. Hockey came home with me and is presently in his new home, just above my computer.  

Gordie Howe has always been special to me.  Back in 1959, while I was in boarding school at Forget, Sask., we were allowed to go to the hired hand's (Andre was his name) room to occasionally watch Hockey Night In Canada which was always joined in progress somewhere during the second period.   One of the nuns (I think it was Sister Bernadette) said that she had gone to school with Gordie Howe in Floral, Sask., so he became forever my favourite hockey player.  Many years later, when he was with the Houston Aeros of the WHA, playing my Calgary Cowboys, that I got to meet him and get the game program signed by him, his son, Marty, and defenceman Paul Terbenche.  That keepsake is now with my children.

My sharp sister caught that I had a date error on my Living Will declaration so I re-did it and had it re-witnessed by Bob and Don while they were here watching baseball and curling.  None of my teams fared well yesterday in any sport, including my Oilers...

I have at least 2 magpies visiting my feeders now but I am too lazy to retrieve movies or photos from the camera on the one feeder.  They come pretty often, and one day I will check my recordings...

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Magpie visitor

Another


Mr Gordie Howe

Mr Hockey