Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday, March 29, 2015 Tom Thumb

I was supremely honoured to have been chosen BEST PHOTOGRAPHER by the readers of GringoPost for 2014, and now I am a repeat winner in 2015 !!!   THANK YOU to all the kind folks who voted for me.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
Last night we had a lovely thunderstorm with tiny bits of hail, nothing serious though.  Normally the clouds move quite slowly here so that we have ample warning to take cover if they are menacing.  Yesterday I took cover almost 2 hours before the storm hit.
Today we had a cold, wet, miserable morning, so what is a person to do???  Well, take pictures of wet hummingbirds, of course.....  Tom Thumb and 3 rivals were buzzing my feeders all day with Tom trying to maintain his territory but the other fellows seemed to sometimes almost work together, one distracting Tom while a buddy slipped in for a quick feed.  
I would love to be able to capture the sparring between the rival hummers but it would be almost impossible to catch anything clearly because of the speed at which they travel, and their fights are never in the same spot.
Even though the day was quite dull, the overhead sun still helped me capture the amazing iridescence of those tiny feathers.  The photos tend to make these hummers larger than they really are (with a body smaller than my thumb).  

I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al  

These clouds, and lightning, caused me to hunker down yesterday

Then the rain came on with a vengeance

It wasn't long before the streets became rivers

Tom doesn't seem bothered by rain

Even with raindrops on his beak, he comes to feed

It takes a lot of patience and timing to get decent shots

Luckily the camera didn't seem to bother Tom today

By now he should be accustomed to me

He will come and feed often

... in between chasing off the rivals

I never get tired of my little buddy's visits

He is such an easy pet to maintain

3 years he has been coming here

He knows that I mean him no harm

I am about 12 inches away

He jealously guards his territory and his food

He keeps coming until well after darkness has fallen