Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sunday May 21, 2017 Giron


Please see more of my artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or http://saccc05.tripod.com/
Get these Blogs via email !! ... SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right, if it is not glitching again.... Ugh!
******
Sunday May 21, 2017
Buzzer got a workout today as Dawn and I ran out to Portete and Giron.  The forecast was good, the sun was coming out, so we left about 9am, hoping to maybe be back noonish....
First stop was the big war memorial at Portete celebrating the Ecuadorian victory over Peru in the early 1800's.  This is a "must' stop for me because I seriously think it is one of the best vistas in the country, overlooking the Giron valley and the mouth of the Yunguilla valley.  From here the run is almost continuously downhill and I didn't have t do much braking as the engine retarder on Buzzer worked quite well.
After a quick pitstop at a Giron Farmacia we continued on to see the Chorros of Giron, the 3-stage waterfalls that are another must-see for any visitor to this area.  The last bit was really steep and Buzzer was really labouring so we cut that ride just below.  Dawn wasn't interested in going higher and we had the tremendous view of all 3 waterfalls so we just turned around and went back to Giron.
We checked out an indoor mercado, outdoor vendors, a volleyball game and then the church with its beautiful stained glass windows.  At the back of the church I spotted a new painting of Hell that I did not recall...
We had soup and a chicken meal in a little restaurant before deciding to head back.  My history with Giron is that it can get quite wet in the afternoons and it was definitely raining to the south with darker clouds rolling our way.  Also Buzzer is still in his break-in period and I did not relish forcing him to do the long climb back up to Portete with two of us on board.  So the solution was to pay $10 for a Mixto taxi pickup to carry us, and Buzzer, back to Portete.  I do not regret this decision as Buzzer, and us, made the trip unscathed.
I just read the good news that the little street dog here, with the damaged tongue hanging out of his mouth, got picked up by a rescue organization, at Cristina's request, and is presently at the vet getting repaired.  That is a huge relief for all of us.
Now we need to find a forever home for our fourth little scamp.  Trying to handle four dogs is just too darn tough for me, so if you know of anyone that needs a playful companion, please send them our way.
I hope you enjoy the photos. That was the day’s excitement.
Cheers, Al
******
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.
If you want to borrow a picture for sharing with family and friends, PLEASE give me credit for the photo.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Dawn is ready to climb up to the monument

This is one of the best views in Ecuador

I always stop here and feel the wind in my hair

From here we can see the upper 2 falls of the Chorros

Another view of the 2 upper falls

Moving closer

The animals all have such glossy coats

Now we can see all 3 falls as we get closer to the base

And we stopped here to turn around

Trying to make a living at a roadside stand

Ecuadorian volleyball in Giron

Love the stained glass in the Giron church

A Sunday mass was in progress

I decided that I do not like heat...

I ate half of the beef, yucca and greens soup

$1.75 chicken dinner

Outdoor vendors a block from the main square

Loading up Buzzer for the long trip up the mountain