Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday August 9, 2015 Andre The Giant

Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Sunday August 9, 2015
I had a nice visit from my buddy Oswaldo this morning.  He will probably be back tomorrow so we can call the Canadian Government for clarification of the Old Age Security regulations.  We checked online but the rules are unclear for his status.
The last couple of days I noticed that my feeder was strangely empty when I checked, even less than 6 hours after I filled it, so I knew something extra was happening out there.
I opened my window to check on Tom Thumb and actually took a step back as this monster-size brown hummingbird fluttered into my face.  Honestly I had never seen such a huge hummer in my life!!  A quick check online confirmed that this is indeed the biggest hummer in the world, aptly called a Giant Hummingbird.  This guy will therefore henceforth be called Andre The Giant!  He is at least twice the size of Tom and that huge beak is like a siphon hose...  He isn't very colourful but he definitely is an imposing sight.
It was a soggy rainy day and I had the camera out most of the day trying to capture some in-flight shots of Andre but that will have to wait another day.  He isn't accustomed to seeing me at the window like Tom is.  These guys are just too darn fast and, just when you think you have the shot, another hummer zooms in to chase the other away.  Today there were 3 Sparkling Violetears in a constant challenge for supremacy at my feeder and then sporadically Andrew would swoop in and take charge for a bit.  I think that I need a higher chair to get a better angle, even though I know that I have to be standing to get the right shot, but it is so tiring, especially after the week I have had.
I wish that Andre will stick around, but not to the detriment of Tom and his rivals.
I also took a shot of a pair of guys on a motorcycle who cruised our street slowly with wayyyyy too much interest in every home as they rode by.  This is a classic thieves' modus operandi to case the street first.  I tried to find a way to email the photo to the local constabulary but that doesn't seem to be allowed...   
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

Please meet Andre The Giant

This guy is a monster

Alert and vicious

Few of the little ones would challenge this guy

He may be the new neighbourhood ruler?

Small wonder that my feeder was empty in 1/2 a day!

The probable thieves

Tom and his rivals have a new contender

It was quite a tussle all afternoon

Sometimes one would let another feed, but not often

At times it seemed like they were taking turns

Gosh they are so very pretty

They are my buddies

These guys are accustomed to me now

Battling in the rain

Neither one wants to give any quarter