Friday, December 22, 2023

Thursday December 21, 2023 Solstice

 

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or

al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Thursday December 21, 2023

So, today is the shortest day of the year with sunrise at 8:48am and sunset a minute later at 4:15pm.... lol.   

Somewhere in there, I caught an express bus to West Edmonton Mall to get a pendant made at Cristina's request of her son Christian.  Cristina had supplied a photo with the words she wanted already printed, but it needed a lot of Photoshop to eliminate other people's hands, hair, etc and to change the background.  Then I had the right beginnings to take to a kiosk on the second level of WEM at the south end of the Ice Palace.  It did not take him long to give me a nice finished product.  I paid extra to have both sides done.

Then I headed towards the Bay and ran into old friends Maxine and Jim having coffee at a coffee bar in the concourse.  I have been away for 23 years and I can still run into friends....  Then a fellow from my building that I play cards with walked right by too...  Small world.

I hunted for a few more items with "Canada" on them to bring south and basically found those at Dollarama...  I finally picked up another set of long-johns at Mark's Work Warehouse and actually got them for free with my Triangle Rewards Canadian Tire money....

I came home, did more chores, and tried to nap, but that did not last long as Bob stopped by, wanting to order pizza.  I had already eaten so we ordered just a medium for him and I had a small piece.

Then, unfortnately I had to boot him out because I had made arrangements to go with Brenda at 5:50pm to a French art gallery which was not far driving, but a long way on the Gio.  It was nice to get driven in a vehicle (Ford Escape) that has easy entry and exit room!  

I had been directed by a friend at the Club 50+ to check out the gallery.  She saw my photos and thought that I should have an exhibition of my own,... so I went to check out what may be involved...  Some of the art on display was very reasonably priced, but most was what I considered pricey.  I was expecting a single, or prominent display of photographs for the one artist, but she had the front area full of poor globes and planet displays, except one globe that was a showstopper.  I never did see the price of it.   I have never gone to the trouble of printing batches of artworks, framing and packaging them, because the economics are sketchy, especially when you have over 6,000 to choose from, and then where do you store all of it???

There were 2 young photographers there so we talked a bit, and the young guy asked me when I had started in photography.  When I told him probably 1968, he was floored...!!  I showed them some of my work on my phone and gave them my cards.

Brenda was really super to take a roundabout way home to grab some photos around the downtown and river areas.

I came back and joined Bob at his place to watch the Oilers win the game in New Jersey, and then I came home to process my work....

Merry Christmas everyone!


I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

Fixed up photo

West Edmonton Mall


Finished product




I liked this one.

Awesome art here!





This is the artist we were supposed to see



Got lucky on my timing!

Muttart Conservatory




Loved this display!


Heated geodesic domes at the entrance


A fire outside to warm the hands

The new LRT bridge