Thursday, December 14, 2023

Wednesday December 13, 2023 Party#1

PLEASE bookmark this page and check daily.

Older Blog:  https://cuencaupdates.blogspot.com/

Please see my best artworks for sale at my websites:  http://souvenirphotostudio.neocities.org/ or

al-bourassa.pixels.com

******

Wednesday December 13, 2023

Monday, I dug in the old hope chest and quickly ran through some of the stuff in there, photo albums, keepsakes, my baby stuff, school yearbook, etc, etc.  One of the items in there was the 38-page English translation plus notations of my Great Great Grandfather (Mom's side) Francois Xavier "Alfred" Bourassa's moves from Quebec to Pawtucket, Rhode Island, then the trek to St John, North Dakota where they settled.  It was an easy read and I passed it along to my family.  We don't know the hardships of our ancestors who counted pennies to gather the right goods to claw out a living on unknown territory, dealing with cold, sickness, disputes, and Indians.  Fascinating reading.

I finally heard from someone at Alberta Blue Cross about their different medical plans and how they might fit my situation...  But by the time you take into account the limits, waiting periods and co-pays, a person has just paid for the procedures in advance...  No thanks.

Flipping channels as usual in the evening while reading my book, I came across the beginning of "To Sir With Love" and I put down my book and watched that great heartwarming movie that I had not seen in many, many years.

The recliner cover that I ordered supposedly from a company in Nice, France, finally arrived via Canada Post from Shanghai, China!  So far, it works as I expect it to, even with my lumbar and head supports stuffed underneath.

Tuesday, I got into Ancestry.ca and updated the information compiled about my GGG Alfred Bourassa and his family by a relative from Lafleche, Saskatchewan, Jherryd Jhordynn who has since passed away.  I had not previously fleshed out Alfred's other children with birth and death dates, marriage dates, etc. on the family tree.  A person must take advantage of the available information.

I also investigated briefly dates and routes to Colombia to allow me to investigate the costs for travel insurance.  I was not impressed with the online quotes and deductibles.

Today, I went with Ghyslaine to Costco on our way out of town.  She needed to grab a couple of prescriptions so I found a heavy sweater, nice gloves and a 2 neck warmers while waiting.  One of the neck warmers will be gifted to Bob so we can dispense with the cumbersome scarves.

We continued to Devon, Alberta to the Community Center.  We had been invited when in Devon last Saturday to join in on a single seniors Christmas supper put on by the local Lions Club at 5pm today.  We chose to sit at a table near the podium and the stage for photo purposes.  That was a good choice because every table had a Lions' host or hostess, and our host was the President, Mike Hennig!  He and I had the attention of at least 6 ladies at our table and we had great conversations between us two men.

The Lions took photos of everyone with Santa for free, and gave us lovely free pens, Xmas oranges, and free drinks...  This was all before the great turkey supper that was served to us by the local Girl Guide group and a Girl's Skating Club.  The trays of desserts were devoured in no time.

An old-time country band set up on stage.  They had a steel guitar, 2 other guitars, and a most unusual bass fiddle as their instruments, and the music was all old country tunes.  The bass fiddle, if we could call it that..., was a diamond willow pole, a single string of twine attached to a drum... and the tension put on the string altered the sound...  Quite ingenious actually!


 I actually got in a couple of dances before the music shut down shortly after 8pm.  Kudos to the Devon Lions Club and their associates for putting on such a wonderful event!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  That was the day’s excitement.

Al

******

© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission. 

If you want to borrow a picture to share with family and friends, Facebook or whatever, at least PLEASE give me credit for the photo.

NOTE  that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

 

My new recliner protection

All the way from Shanghai

The remnants of a gorgeous sunset tonight

Santa in position for photos

Ghyslaine's turn

Devon Lions President Mike Hennig

Our Girl Guide servers

3 from the Skating Club






Skating Club & Santa

The unusual one-string bass fiddle.