Thursday, January 7, 2016

Wednesday January 6, 2016 Dia De Los Inocentes

Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Wednesday January 6, 2016
As days go in Ecuador, today was a truly productive day.  I actually got TWO major issues done with the Government today, when getting one done in a day is considered a major achievement.
When we got to El Centro I handed my camera to Christian with instructions to go up the cathedral stairs to get up between the towers and to take some photos with his fresh outlook.  It turns out they have changed things and now the climb to the towers is paired with a descent to the crypt for $2.  I was quite shocked when he came back with a paltry 7 photos..
First I tried to get my house taxes paid with my Tercera Edad (over 65, old fart) discount.  They claimed that I wasn't registered in the system so I had to solve that first by visiting a different office upstairs.  Then I actually had to return home for the deed to the house for the second year in a row and give them a copy.  Then I had to go to the Etapa office to make the actual payment, but it got finally got done.  
Funny, the taxes were $19.46 in 2014, then jumped to $61.38 last year as they did some pavement on our street.  I didn't know what to expect this year with the discount but I was truly shocked when they asked me for only $12.72!!!  Good grief, my taxes in Canada were 200 times that....  It is always nice to get that chore out of the way.
Next I tackled the IESS, to get Cristina registered under me for medical coverage now that she has her Cedula.  This took some time, but the one lady in the office who speaks English is the only one who looks after Expats.  In fact, when they give you a the ticket to wait, it actually starts with X (which stands for Extranero) so we get preferential treatment.  It costs under $13 monthly to get Cristina medical coverage.  We were waiting for one of Cristina's employers to get the IESS coverage arranged, supposedly much more comprehensive coverage, including pension benefits, but she would have to work more than 20 hours per week for one person to qualify.  
We barely got home that we turned around and caught the #15 back to Huayna Capac before the street is closed to traffic.  I treated Cristina and Christian to pizza at the Pizza House in San Blas square.  Frankly, I don't think there is a better meat-lovers pizza in Cuenca.  It sure hit the spot.
Then we went back to Huayna Capac, exactly on time to catch the beginning of the parade for Dia De Los Inocentes.  This year, much of the emphasis for the costumes, etc was on a transportation theme for which the different Universities compete.  Frankly I like it better when they concentrate on the actual theme, the death of the innocent boys at the hand of King Herod's troops.  I love the painted faces and the morbid aspect.  I actually got dragged out into the street by a couple of the groups to participate in their activities.  All in all it was a good time.
Then we had to walk down to the bottom of the street to be able to catch a taxi home.  It really complicates things when such a major artery is closed to all traffic.

I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

There are 2, or is it 4, identical angels in the crypt

The crypt is long and I love the statue at the far end

The view from between the towers looking east

Looking southeast

Looking northeast

Looking south south west

You get a close look at the statue between the towers

2014 Taxes

2015 Taxes

This year's 2016 Taxes

The Dia De Los Inocentes 2016 parade kicks off

People of all ages participate

Christian needed some religion..

I bought this mask for $1 

Cool old car

Part of a lovely family next to us

Gotta love the kids

I expected many more kids in this parade

Love the painted faces

Tired?  The parade has just started...

The family next to us

I bought some flashy eyelashes for Cristina $1

Yup, a transportation theme

Hundreds of students has cardboard cars

Tons of University kids taking part

Costumes of all kinds

How do you represent a street?

People sharing a "vehicle"

Taxis and racecars too

Lots of fake traffic cops

Buses and window washers

Is that paint hard to remove??

Roman bachanal transport?

OK, this is different...

Huge eyelashes

Love the painted ladies

OK, the guys are OK too

They tried to get me to replace the corpse...

Has the fun started yet??

Kiss me stupid...

Lots of folks with noisy whistles

Hmmm, a clown in a parade...

Not sure if she wants to be on this float..

Sports was represented too

Lots of revelry and fun

Lots of nasty bishops too

Dangerous curves...  We got it...

Another whistleblower

It looks a little tight in this car

Freddy Kruger and the missus

We liked this Captain America

Race car drivers?

Pirates of the Galapagos??

Lots of food available on the side streets

Did I say that I like the painted faces??  Prepare for more...

Me gusta mucho

I like, I like.....

C'mom, this is scary shit...

A family gets into the act

Lots of parents with kids involved

Cool stuff

I love it!