Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tuesday January 19, 2016 Tarqui Protest

Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Tuesday January 19, 2016
I debated with myself about whether I should go to a protest scheduled for 8am in Tarqui, about 15 kms south of Cuenca.   After a completely sleepless night wondering what to do with Oldies But Goodies (which we have cancelled) I decided I could use the fresh air...  Riding on Toxic is fun and I was amazed at how little traffic there is on the Autopista, and even the Pan-American highway.
Now I know all about Ecuadorian time, but I could not find any gatherings of people for protesting, just a whole pile of police in riot gear!  There were at least 2 police that I saw brandishing tear gas guns.  Many of the police with the plastic shields had batons, but an equal number did not.  None of those had guns, thank God.
I kept trying to find anyone who could speak English to tell me the W5 of the protest (who, what, where, when, & why) or to find the guy who invited me.
I was told to wait, that people would gather later, and something about the roundabout south of town.  I rode around the town a couple of times but nothing of any consequence was happening in the town square.   I rode out to the roundabout turnoff to Loja (location 2 on the map) and nothing was happening there.
I finally came back to that first fork in the road where most of the police were concentrated (location 1 on the map) and then found a group of indigenous gathering just above them.  Finally, after 9am, the crowd got on their feet and went just past the police and got some of their grievances to the press.  Then they kept walking to the roundabout.
I went on the detour set up by the police and got to the roundabout to see another crowd gathered here with lots of livestock.  About 10am the first group arrived here and then there was approximately 300 protesters in total.  When the farmers tried to block the road with their cattle, four riding crop-wielding horse-mounted police waded into the crowd swinging, mostly whacking the animals.  I thought for sure that there was going to be a full blown riot here when protesters fought back (mostly women) with sticks and signs.  The organizers must be given credit for calling out for calm and peace was restored and they were allowed to blockade the road for a while.  Then they blocked another, and another and traffic was snarled and rerouted.
I am all for peaceful protests, but I frankly object to protesters harming the livelihoods of others by needlessly blocking roads in such a fashion.  This does not win them the friends they need, but then, that is the Ecuadorian mindset that if they were on the road first, everybody else just goes around, and without a sound....
Again, I am the only white face in this confrontation.  Finally, one fellow accosts me in English and I find out that they are protesting milk prices, and that the Government does not buy milk from them.  Another protest is about mining for the Chinese just south of the roundabout, which they say affects the water supply for Cuenca.
When the crowd gets up and starts walking back to Tarqui, I decide that I should head home.    Gosh how I love that I can just bypass backed-up traffic so simply on Toxic.

I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 

The two locations where most of the action occurred

An intimidating show by police, complete overkill...

This is all because of an upcoming farmers' protest

Scores of police line the roads, our tax dollars at work

Even the horses are armored, legs, faces, backs and sides

I was thankful to see few guns on the riot police

There even was a large contingent of female police

These are the macho men of the police

They almost caused a riot today

Location 1 corner is heavily covered

Finally the protesters begin to gather

Almost all are indigenous folks, the farmers of this land

They get up to move for some press briefing past Location 1

Toxic keeps a close eye on proceedings

I think Location 2 is about 2-3 kms down the road

They stop past the police for a moment to talk to the press

This is all very peaceful.

The police are still lined up behind them

Way too many police for such an event

Then the police come to hem in the crowd

The horses are there for intimidation

The police allow traffic to get by the group

This is a mismatch...

This much heavy-handed police presence was not required

Some of the leaders get on the news

The crowd heads to Location 2 at the roundabout

More leaders get their moment in the limelight

One of the tear-gas guns at the ready

More walk to catch up with the main group

Location 2 roundabout crowd is peaceful

Lots of signs and livestock

Almost the same amount of people here

The first crowd is slowly arriving

Sign protesting the mining damaging our waterways

The cows are patient

Soon the two crowds will merge into one

The idiot horse cop swings at the animals

The people are shocked at this

Some fight back at this effrontery

Police remain calm and organizers restore order

This unsmiling mean-looking guy directs the mounted cops

Quite a decent crowd on hand

They begin to block the roundabout

Police are still calm

A catastrophe is averted

Blocking more traffic

Traffic is detoured the wrong way on the roundabout

The crowd leaves to go back to Tarqui

It is a long line