Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday, February 23, 2015 Guayaquil


I was supremely honoured to have been chosen BEST PHOTOGRAPHER by the kind readers of GringoPost for 2014, and now I am a repeat winner in 2015 !!!   THANK YOU to all the kind folks who voted for me.

Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

Monday, February 23, 2015
Sorry, no photos with today’s Blog (check tomorrow) because I am not home, but I wanted to share the day’s experience.
I was up very early to drive Cristina to Guayaquil to get her Colombian police report so she can then apply for a Mercosur Visa which is extremely simple and cheap for people from the surrounding countries.
It was my first time actually driving in the Cajas but it is no different than driving in the mountainous areas elsewhere in the country.   While some of the hairpins are poorly marked the highway itself is really top-notch.  We made good time, arriving in about 3 hours, just in time to hit the morning rush hour.  I am thankful that those bridges over the huge bay can carry a lot of weight, because we just crawled along….  I checked the outside temperature once we hit the flats around 7am on the way to the coast, and it read 24.5C which quickly rose to 27C  within minutes.
I can’t last on the coast long because the heat and humidity are too much for a boy from Calgary.   Thank God for air-conditioning which removes a lot of that humidity, however the second we alighted in the parkade it felt like it was time for a shower already.  I have no idea how hot it was, but I melted like an ice cream cone….
I am also thankful for the Garmin GPS for getting us close enough to our destination for us to get there without much problem.  I had been there before, when I helped Luz through the same process, so I was able to save us a lot of time.
The Colombian Consulate is to be commended for being extremely efficient and helpful.  They have streamlined the process so that a person can apply for the documents online, run to the corner to deposit $10 into their bank account, then later to actually print the documents.  Ecuador could certainly take some lessons from them.  It is also helpful that the employees of the Cyber Cafés in the building are experienced at helping us lost souls with that part of the process. 
We were actually done within 3 hours which was a huge relief.   We actually discussed just returning to Cuenca but we both had had very little sleep, and I had committed to a hotel room anyway so we checked in, showered and slept the afternoon away, then showered again, even though the room has good-working AC.
The heavens opened at dusk and that was a welcome relief from the heat. 
We spotted a Mall Del Sol down the block so we grabbed umbrellas when the rains abated and went for a walk.  The big “M” symbol was drawing me there for supper.  This mall was amazing!  Not quite West Edmonton Mall, but a reasonable facsimile, with tons of stores and a food court that made me want to stay in Guayaquil.  I spotted some specials at Pizza Hut and enjoyed our first pizza in months.  The Cinnabon shop a floor down did not escape my notice so I tried CinnaPecan, which was decadently delicious.  It is such a pleasure to have some comfort food from “home” once in a while… 
I am not sure what time we will get away in the morning, but probably early enough to get away, miss the rush hour here and catch the rush hour in Cuenca…  The joys of driving.
That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al